The Most Wonderful White Bread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smartdog

Assistant Cook
Wonderfully Soft White Bread :chef:

Original Recipe was from recipezaar.com, but I've tweaked it quite a bit as far as prep/rising/baking.

1 cup tepid water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon honey ( I used buckwheat honey)
3 cups all purpose flour (I used Robin Hood-Best for Bread-Homestyle White) This made a BIG difference in the texture of the bread.
1/4 cup powdered whole milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons SAF Gold Instant Yeast
  1. Sprinkle yeast on water. Blend till yeast dissolves.
  2. In this order add: honey, sugar, powdered milk, salt and stir well till blended
  3. Add margarine and stir well again.
  4. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix till fully blended (mixture will be like batter) Add remaining two cups of flour and blend with a fork till completely blended. Take dough out of mixing bowl and fold till smooth. Do NOT over work or knead! Just fold and press, fold and press.
  5. Shape into boule and place in lightly oiled bowl for approx. 1 1/2 hours or till doubled.
  6. When risen, take out dough and on a floured surface, shape into loaf and place in loaf pan. (again, DO NOT overwork).
  7. Let rise in a warm place for approximately 40 minutes until doubled in size.
  8. Bake on centre rack of preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
  9. Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Here is a picture of the "attacked" loaf. DH LOVES Wonder Bread, and now he's a convert! LOL

white1.jpg

white2.jpg

Smartdog, Beautiful Loaf. Appears you have seeds on top...and a slight slash? Thanks for the recipe. Aria

oldcampcook: Thanks! LOL, don't forget to toss that shirt in the laundry ok? heheh
Aria: I used sesame and poppy seeds, and yep, a "light" slash. ;)
Katie: The loaf pan is a Pain de Mie pan that I bought from King Arthur's flour's site. :)

mudbug said:
white bread you can actually eat!
who'd a thunk it?

Muddy, there is a lot of white bread that is great to eat. I make ALL the bread products in our house. That includes: loaf bread, baguettes, English muffins, bagels, sandwich bread, toasting bread, scones, hamburger/hot dog buns, you name it.

We haven't bought commercially-produced bread in years and years.

Boufa, I have 2 bread machines that I use constantly. However, ALL I use them for is kneading and the first rise of my dough. This method makes bread baking quick and convenient.

Yesterday, by 10 a.m., I'd taken two loaves of white bread out of the oven. Yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom