"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 04-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I use SAF Instant Yeast that I buy, mail order, from the nice folks at King Arthur Flour. I get it in 1-pound packages and store it in tightly-sealed glass jars in the freezer. I use about 2 packages a year for the two of us for all our bread needs.

I haven't used any yeast on the grocery store shelves in too many years to count. I really don't know what is available there anymore.

When I proof my bread, I put a 2-cup bowl with about 1 cup of water into the microwave. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Leave the bowl of hot water in the microwave and then put my dough in to proof. The inside of the microwave stays warm and moist for about 1 hour, which is long enough for most of my breads to rise.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I think the subject line rates in the top 10.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I think the subject line rates in the top 10.
Thank You - Actually, I love bad puns. Prolly should start a thread for that.

Anyway, 1# of Red Star active dry yeast is on it's way to me VIA King Arthur's website.

I hope to try the hot dog buns tonight and see where I get.

Here's a thought and a question. I proof the yeast by putting 1/2 cup of warm water n a bowl, stirring in the yeast, add a pinch of sugar and hope to see bubbles within 10 minutes.

I usually get a brownish foam (Yeast color). Has anyone made a quantitative observation? IE: How long till this happens? Relative indication of how much action is seen? I read somewhere about a bread diary, I know that temperature, humidity can change results a lot.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Thank You - Actually, I love bad puns. Prolly should start a thread for that.

Anyway, 1# of Red Star active dry yeast is on it's way to me VIA King Arthur's website.

I hope to try the hot dog buns tonight and see where I get.

Here's a thought and a question. I proof the yeast by putting 1/2 cup of warm water n a bowl, stirring in the yeast, add a pinch of sugar and hope to see bubbles within 10 minutes.

I usually get a brownish foam (Yeast color). Has anyone made a quantitative observation? IE: How long till this happens? Relative indication of how much action is seen? I read somewhere about a bread diary, I know that temperature, humidity can change results a lot.
Adillo, I usually proof my yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar and a pinch of flour. Swirl around with a fork and allow to sit on the counter for a few minutes. Within about 10 minutes the mixture will show tiny little bubbles (pinhead size) on the surface. If you want "evidence," use a glass measuring cup and watch as the level gently goes up along the markings on the cup. It will be slight, but you will definitely see a difference.

Yeast baking is very rewarding and lots of fun. Don't let the process intimidate you and don't complicate it too much. Just get into it and have a ball.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Just get into it and have a ball.
That is what I am doing. I have a colony of Rye sour living in the fridge. I make 2 loaves every other week. I just made 10 grain for sandwiches and toast. I make foccasia (SP) just for me. Challah (SP) for to give friends. It is great to do.

I am making an effort to make all of the food eaten in the house. I am comming close and we are ejnoying the better taste.

AC
Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #16
Head Chef

Natural food stores often have bulk yeast--much cheaper than buying little jars or packets.

I have never found much difference in different brands/types of yeast, and use them all interchangeably.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

This is an interesting and timely topic, especially since I've just run out of yeast in a 4 oz jar, and have a few packets of the "high priced spread" left in the pantry. I wanted to buy yeast in bulk, but was unsure which type to get. So I Googled it and teh best explanation came from the Fanatic Cook website at Fanatic Cook: Experimenting With Yeast

Based on the fact that ACTIVE DRY YEAST needs to be proofed to get teh most out of it, and that INSTANT YEAST is ready to use without proofing, I think I'm going to get a 1# brick of SAF INSTANT YEAST from my local Gordon Food Services store ( Welcome to the World of Gordon Food Service ). It's only $2.19 for a 1# brick, so that should hold me over for almost 6 months, at which time I can get another fresh brick.

GFS also has Red Star ACTIVE DRY YEAST for $4.49 for a 2# brick. I would get one to have on hand, but I think I would just be adding more prep time to my bread making.

Any additional thoughts on this newbie's decision?

Joe

P.S. As inexpensive as this ingredient is, money is NOT an issue at all.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
This is an interesting and timely topic, especially since I've just run out of yeast in a 4 oz jar, and have a few packets of the "high priced spread" left in the pantry. I wanted to buy yeast in bulk, but was unsure which type to get. So I Googled it and teh best explanation came from the Fanatic Cook website at Fanatic Cook: Experimenting With Yeast

Based on the fact that ACTIVE DRY YEAST needs to be proofed to get teh most out of it, and that INSTANT YEAST is ready to use without proofing, I think I'm going to get a 1# brick of SAF INSTANT YEAST from my local Gordon Food Services store ( Welcome to the World of Gordon Food Service ). It's only $2.19 for a 1# brick, so that should hold me over for almost 6 months, at which time I can get another fresh brick.

GFS also has Red Star ACTIVE DRY YEAST for $4.49 for a 2# brick. I would get one to have on hand, but I think I would just be adding more prep time to my bread making.

Any additional thoughts on this newbie's decision?

Joe

P.S. As inexpensive as this ingredient is, money is NOT an issue at all.
Joe, I've been using SAF instant yeast in the 1-pound brick for years and I love it. It's never let me down. I store it in the freezer in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. I bake all the bread Buck and I use and go through at least one brick per year. Great stuff. You've made a wise decision IMO.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
You've made a wise decision IMO.
WOW!
I need to get DW's cell phone number to you so you can call her and tell her that I've "... made a wise decision...)

Joe
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #20
Head Chef

I always use instant dry yeast because is it the only type of yeast I have been able to find here. I use Magidelly Levadura Seca instantanea, which comes in a vacuum-packed brick of 450g. It lasts me almost a year, and I keep it in a tightly closed jar in the refrigerator. I don't know if it is the yeast, the flour or the humidity, but I have never baked such good bread. Worth noting that America's Test Kitchen uses instant dry yeast for their bread baking....