"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Time To Get Moving

Since Pirate is a lover of bread, and I might just eat one or two slices a month, I am always buying a loaf of artisan bread. And it is very costly. It is not that hard to make.

So even though the temp outside is 89F. I think I will get out into the kitchen and start baking. I am not worried about heating the house up. I have central AC. In fact it is too efficient. This apartment can become downright freezing in a matter of just minutes.

Now to fid my recipe.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have central AC. In fact it is too efficient. This apartment can become downright freezing in a matter of just minutes.
I wish I can say the same about our central AC system.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

The problem with A/C that gets the temp low quickly is that it's oversized for the area it's cooling. What happens then is that enough moisture isn't removed from the area and the air is "clammy". The neighbors behind our first home had that problem ("If big is good, bigger is better" ) and you froze in their house while feeling as sticky as you would be if you were outside in the heat and humidity. I would rather the air be a wee bit warmer but dry rather than cooler and moist, but that's me. *shrugs*
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The problem with A/C that gets the temp low quickly is that it's oversized for the area it's cooling. What happens then is that enough moisture isn't removed from the area and the air is "clammy". The neighbors behind our first home had that problem ("If big is good, bigger is better" ) and you froze in their house while feeling as sticky as you would be if you were outside in the heat and humidity. I would rather the air be a wee bit warmer but dry rather than cooler and moist, but that's me. *shrugs*
No, that's me, too. I hate that feeling. Didn't know the reason why; thanks for explaining it.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I wish I had AC! I take that back. I did buy an air conditioner this year, but I didn't get it till a couple weeks ago. Rather than mess with it this year, I decided to let it go till next spring. I figured here in the Northwest, we probably have about 4 weeks of warm weather left.

This week we have a heatwave. Not a bad one, but after being cool for so long this summer, I'm not doing very good in it.

I'm reconsidering the air conditioner at this point.

I was thinking, though, this would be a good time to make bread. In this heat, I wouldn't have to put it in the oven to get it to rise.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The column that our AC is in, is a two sided one. One of the vents blows directly on my bed. I find myself hunkering down with a couple of blankets. So one of my son's took a stiff piece of cardboard and redirected the draft toward the ceiling on that one side. Now I am one happy camper.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

How did your homemade artisan bread turn out, Addie?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
How did your homemade artisan bread turn out, Addie?
It was gone by the end of the day. With two hungry men, artisan bread does not last long in this house. They sat down, with the butter dish beside them, tearing off pieces and smearing butter on it, it went fast. They only waited until the bread was no longer to hot to handle. The next time I make it, I will make two loaves. One for the freezer.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 AM   #9
Sous Chef

LMAO Addie, I thought you were going to say, "One for them and one for me."
Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
LMAO Addie, I thought you were going to say, "One for them and one for me."
As much as I love bread making, I am not too fond of bread. But having two grown men available, I just may pass away in the kitchen making bread for them. The problem is they only wait until it is no longer to hot to handle. So no matter how much I make, it doesn't go to waste.