TNT Dark Sourdough Bread
I've been making this since I was in my teens--a long time.
Starter (the day before)
2 c flour
2 c warm water
1 cake yeast
1. Mix the starter ingredients in a glass bowl. and let stand at 80 degrees covered with a plate overnight. I put it on a heating pad on low with a thermometer in it.
2. Take 1 cup out and save the rest in the fridge in a glass jar.
1/3 c black strap molasses
2 T melted lard
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 c cracked barley
1/4 c oatmeal
1/4 c wheat germ
1 package yeast
1/4 c warm water
1/4 tsp sugar
2 c pumpernickel or rye flour
3 c AP flour
1. Set yeast in 1/4 c warm water, sprinkle 2T sugar on top. Let double. I use a measuring cup.
2. Combine the first seven ingredients and add to starter.
3. Add yeast.
4. Add remaining ingredients.
5. Mix and add enough flour to make a soft dough.
6. Turn out on a floured surface--knead.
7. Let rise, covered in a greased bowl until doubled.
8. Dissolve 1/4 tsp baking soda in 1/8 c warm water.
9. Knead dissolved soda into dough.
10. Shape into loaves (like baquettes) and placed on greased cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal.
11. Use a straight-edge razor blade (or scalpel) and cut XXXs on the top.
12. Brush with water.
13. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes with a pan of water on the lower rack. After 15 minutes, brush loaves again with water. Remove pain of water after 20 minutes of total baking time. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.