To freeze homemade loaf bread dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
Can any or all homemade bread dough be frozen, thawed & cooked later with the same results or does the finished product suffer integrity? If so, at what stage would this be advised. I saw a recipe somewhere that said dough could be frozen but I would like to know from the experts that actually cook bread if it effects the outcome.

I do it all the time without a problem.
Depending on the project, the loaves are weighed out in 1 Lb loaves. Put in freezer bags. Dated and sealed.

When you want a fresh batch let it thaw in the fridge until your ready. Bake as you normally would.

Munky.

Though it is quite possible. The result will vary from recipe to recipe, from freezer to freezer and whatever other conditions that might occur. Dough, after all said and done is not that expensive. Make some, freeze it, and see how you like it.
Oh, to answer the original question, I have done it and it is not bad, maybe not as perfect as the fresh type, but still good.

I have placed it in the freezer before the first rise. Then I let it thaw in the fridge. When it is completely thawed, I bring it to room temp for the first rise. Gently deflate it and give it the second rise in the pan or however I am going to use it. I never punch it down. That takes all those little holes of gas out of them. Then the dough has to just about start all over again. :)

Last edited:
I haven't frozen my bread dough but I do freeze pizza dough. I let it rise, punch down, divide then freeze the little dough balls.

I find the pizza I make with fresh is better, but it is nice to be able to pull a couple of dough balls out, put them on the floured counter and come back in about 4 hours and make pizza.

For bread I would likely loaf then freeze (between the first and second rise).

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I will do a couple batches & test the freezer techniques.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom