To freeze or not to freeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I want to take some slices of bread out of a whole loaf. Should I freeze them or is it alright to just keep them in the refrigerator for a few days?

If you're thinking about making some sandwiches ahead of time for school, kids, etc., go ahead and put the whole sandwich together, but omit the salad stuff......I agree that freezing is far superior to putting in the fridge......when my kids were young and I was super busy, I'd make up their sandwiches for the week (it was easy as they only liked the same PB/Jelly or Turkey/Cheese) and then we only had to grab in the morning........but plain slices in the freezer are good, too.......or the whole loaf for that matter......

If you're thinking about making some sandwiches ahead of time for school, kids, etc., go ahead and put the whole sandwich together, but omit the salad stuff......I agree that freezing is far superior to putting in the fridge......when my kids were young and I was super busy, I'd make up their sandwiches for the week (it was easy as they only liked the same PB/Jelly or Turkey/Cheese) and then we only had to grab in the morning........but plain slices in the freezer are good, too.......or the whole loaf for that matter......

Great ideas, thanks.

Not exactly on topic but:
When bread is starting to go stale I'll freeze it to use later as breadcrumbs or french toast.

I freeze all our bread. Otherwise DH and I can't go through a whole loaf without it getting stale.

We usually freeze all but one loaf of bread. We keep that in the fridge. What do you guys mean by "stale"? Do you mean a change in flavour or losing some moisture? We almost always toast our bread, so keeping it in the fridge for a week isn't a problem. I wonder if it makes a difference that we only use whole grain bread. I have noticed that croissants made with white flour dry out faster.

We usually freeze all but one loaf of bread. We keep that in the fridge. What do you guys mean by "stale"? Do you mean a change in flavour or losing some moisture? We almost always toast our bread, so keeping it in the fridge for a week isn't a problem. I wonder if it makes a difference that we only use whole grain bread. I have noticed that croissants made with white flour dry out faster.

It undergoes a process called retrogradation, which makes it hard. It doesn't really dry out. It's complicated ;) Here's detailed information: Does Refrigeration Really Ruin Bread? | Serious Eats

It undergoes a process called retrogradation, which makes it hard. It doesn't really dry out. It's complicated ;) Here's detailed information: Does Refrigeration Really Ruin Bread? | Serious Eats
That was for white bread. The whole grain bread we eat doesn't get noticeably hard after two days in the fridge. If I don't put it in the fridge, after two days it is mouldy if it's in plastic or noticeably drying if it is in a paper bag. We have noticed that bagels and croissants made from white flour don't behave the same as the wholegrain bread.

We don't eat enough bread to use up a loaf before it gets stale so we freeze it after the first day or two. I usually just take out a couple of slices and toast them.

I also freeze the bagels I make. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and and put them in a Ziplock bag. When I want a bagel I put one in the microwave and nuke it for 25 seconds then slice and toast it. You can't tell it's been frozen.

For hot dog, hamburg and deli rolls I've frozen, I wrap the frozen roll in a dampened paper towel and nuke it for anywhere between 25 and 35 seconds. They come out as soft and fresh as new.

Last edited:
I usually buy unsliced bread. When I get it home I cut the loaf in half, double-wrap the half going into the freezer, and pop the fresh half into the breadbox in its store wrap. We used to go through bread quickly when Himself worked and took lunches. Not so much anymore.

During the winter, I'll buy two or three loaves of different breads, then divide each in half, freeze all but one or two halves, and eat up the rest. This way, no matter the weather, I (almost) never run out of bread. My Dad the Bread Man would be proud. :heart:

...I also freeze the bagels I make. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and and put them in a Ziplock bag...
That's how I wrap-and-freeze my scones. When I bake them, I will make at least 2 dozen. Tempting as it is to eat them all up, I freeze most for later.

Back
Top Bottom