What is the name of the Italian hard bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chilichip

Senior Cook
that you soak in water and where can you order it on line? I think it starts with a B,not sure,

thanks.

they are hard shape like a bagel and soak in water,some people put oil and vinegar, that's all I know.

Besides foccaccia and pizza dough (which obviously you're not talking about), the two more common types of Italian bread that you're referring to are either ciabatta or filoncino. Both are hard, crusty breads that are commonly served with olive oil and balsamic. However, neither is shaped like a bagel although both can probably be done so. When you say "soaked" in water, are you referring to before the bread is added to another dish (i.e. gazpacho)? If not, I'm not sure what you're talking about since I don't know of any bread that is soaked in water before being eaten as is. Hopefully one of the forum members in Italy can share some light on this. I'm thinking that you had either a ciabatta or filoncino that was just shaped like a bagel.

Following on what IC said, the only preparation I know of that calls for soaking Italian bread in water is panzanella (bread salad). This can be pretty much any crusty bread.

Taralli

that you soak in water and where can you order it on line? I think it starts with a B,not sure,

thanks.
You can go to (youtube) & search Taralli ...you will see them...I am Italian & knew immediately what you were looking for....They come some with pepper....fennel....almonds....

Cocoprayer, I always believed taralli are different from friselle. My friends from Puglia used to soak their friselle with water, then finish them with olive oil, "squeezed" tomatoes and salt. Friselle have a coarser texture then taralli, which are very smooth, I think, and they may have or not a hole in the middle. I never soaked taralli in water... :)

Ciao
Luca

Italian Breads with a Hole, like a Doughnut ?

Good Afternoon,

Good Afternoon,

Firstly, the two types I have encountered are:

1) Frisilli: which is native to Puglia, on the southeast Adriatic coast ( the heel of the boot ), where we have an apartment.

2) Pistuccu: On the island of Sardinia, there is a Sardinian Shepherd´s ancient bread which has a hard crispy texture.

There are 17 or 18 provinces and the islands and over 1.000 types of bread of all shapes, sizes and types of flour, and there are historic shepherd recipes and modern artisanial vanguard baked products in the major cosmopolitan cities through out Italy.

Hope this has assisted.

The only Italian Deli I am familiar with on a yearly visit is: Di Palo´s which is located since the 1800s at: 200 Grand Street - Little Italy

I purchase my " Dettori Pecorino Sardo " there for my stay.

Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
Taralli & Friselle are totally different

Part 2.

I had left this part out ... My phone had rung ... and ...

Taralli is a southern Italian large oval bread which ties at the bottom like a knot, and yes, it has a huge hole --- a true crispy Italian bread.

Friselle is the size of a ring, about a large doughnut size and is quite a semi soft texture.

If you live in the USA, contact the Italian Deli I have mentioned at
200 Grand St. Manhattan.

I do not live in the USA and thus, all I can suggest is that you google search Italian Bakeries in San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, and Manhattan and other cities with a large Italian population.

Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano.

Mom called it biscotti and she like the black pepper. She liked to break and butter them. But her dad liked to have them for breakfast dipped in espresso.

Wiki:

"Biscotti" is the plural form of biscotto. The word originates from the medieval Latin word biscoctus, meaning "twice-cooked/baked." It defined oven baked goods that were baked twice, so they were very dry and could be stored for long periods of time. Pliny the Elder boasted that such goods would be edible for centuries. Such nonperishable food was particularly useful during journeys and wars, and twice baked breads were a staple food of the Roman Legions.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscotti

Attachments

• Parmesan%20Black-Pepper%20Biscotti.jpg
    Parmesan%20Black-Pepper%20Biscotti.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Folks, folks, nobody is looking for anything anymore. This thread is like nearly 5 years old. ;)

Are you sure?:ROFLMAO: Why is it that a first time poster brings up a 5 year old thread? Any bets on how many more posts they make?;)

What is the name of the Italian hard bread

The name of the bread you are talking about is friselle. It is a twice baked bagel looking roll only bigger ! Most of us eat them with olive oil and tomatoes or with butter and coffee !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom