"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Executive Chef

To All: Your Feedback is Greatly Appreciated

To All My D.C. Colleagues Who Have Contributed To My Thread,

Your feedback has been greatly appreciated, and the plentiful ideas, and imaginative twists.

Firstly, as you all know, I am preparing this special Brunch for The Vet, because he researches and investiagates at the Lab three Saturdays a month, thus, he only has one Saturday free a month, and one full weekend free a month. Thus, I always plan a special brunch for two ...

Some of my ideas:

1. No packaged Spanish bread ... Heaven forbid ...

2. My local Bakery, Owner Charly: He is a marvel and has suggested several ideas too ... He can make me an unbleached flour whole wheat type 9 cereal variety, a Walnut bread, a Cinammon bread and / or any other type I wish ... He gave me his wholesale Bread List.

3. Fresh fruit in season is big key for our salsa: The Vet likes the Berry Salsa from Sir Lion of Beef ... however, we also had in mind Fresh Tropical fruit or FRESH APRICOTS which are now in season and are heavenly perfume to our Olfactory ... I wanted to surprise him a bit ... and I have not told him fresh Apricots are at the Farmerīs Market ...

If I have forgotten to send a thank you note as a PM, please accept my apologies. This is why I have publicly thanked all of you.

My very best to a wonderful weekend.

Grazie Sempre.
Ciao.
Margi.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Addie,

Sefardic Braided Eggbread ( Chalah ) as it is called in the Madrid Capital is always nice too for French Toast.

Thanks Addie.

Due to all the imaginative and helpful replies and enormous feedback, I have copied down all these ideas, and shall now have a French Toast Brunch section in my notebook for future use ...

I am sure within one year, we shall have tried all your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Grazie.

Margi.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

We like using hawaiian bread for french toast. Otherwise a dense cinnamon bread at your local bakery works nicely too.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Simon Baker: Thanks so much for your feedback

I just picked up on your Post, and wish to thank you very much.

I do agree, and have made it with Cinammon Bread, always successfully, and the Vet loves the aroma of cinammon as I do ...

Since, fresh apricots are at the Farmerīs Market, that sort of made me do a double think from fresh Berries to fresh Apricots and Cinammon Bread would be purr fect for this special Sunday 3rd June Brunch for two ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
Sous Chef

A raisin "challah"...Jewish egg loaf.....nothing better!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Ella / To,

Yes, we have had Sefardic Egg Braided Bread here in Madrid Capital Spain, and it always has made a lovely French Toast and we are not even Jewish.

The thing is, I prefer to have Charly, my Baker prepare from scratch. Home made bread is too tedious work with oven, in such desert like heat ... It is like Egypt in the middle of the Sahara here ...

Cinammon egg bread can work with the fresh apricots ...
This is a real possible and other is Billīs Berries with a different bread however.

Ciao.
Margi.

Thanks for feedback.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
Head Chef

Croissants, halved lengthwise, & lightly dipped in batter (w/ some Grand Marnier). Topped with orange butter & powdered sugar or fresh strawberries.

For thicker bread(s) - french, italian etc., cut a pocket & fill w/ lemon zest/cream cheese.

If you feel very decadent, spread a some nutella between the bread slices, & serve with fresh strawberries & champagne.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Cerise,

Nice decadence ... Thank you very much for your feedback ... I now have 52 weeks of French Toast recipes, thanks to all my D.C. Colleagues ... The croissants sound wonderful. This is going on the list certainly.

Of course, my idea is fresh apricots at the farmerīs market, ( we love fresh apricots and their season here is very short lived unfortunately and they are so sweet and aromatically gorgeous ), so, this is something I wish to employ ... I have to sort thru all these stunner ideas ... and options tomorrow.

Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
Executive Chef

My thing isn't the bread as I have used many kinds. Its the custard/egg mixture. I like to vary between using orange liquor, De Serrano or vanilla extract.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
Sous Chef

I think, any white bread you can cut into thick slices is good for French toast.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread