Which Bread Do You Use For French Toast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To All: Your Feedback is Greatly Appreciated

:) To All My D.C. Colleagues Who Have Contributed To My Thread,

Your feedback has been greatly appreciated, and the plentiful ideas, and imaginative twists.

Firstly, as you all know, I am preparing this special Brunch for The Vet, because he researches and investiagates at the Lab three Saturdays a month, thus, he only has one Saturday free a month, and one full weekend free a month. Thus, I always plan a special brunch for two ...

Some of my ideas:

1. No packaged Spanish bread ... Heaven forbid ...

2. My local Bakery, Owner Charly: He is a marvel and has suggested several ideas too ... He can make me an unbleached flour whole wheat type 9 cereal variety, a Walnut bread, a Cinammon bread and / or any other type I wish ... He gave me his wholesale Bread List.

3. Fresh fruit in season is big key for our salsa: The Vet likes the Berry Salsa from Sir Lion of Beef ... however, we also had in mind Fresh Tropical fruit or FRESH APRICOTS which are now in season and are heavenly perfume to our Olfactory ... I wanted to surprise him a bit ... and I have not told him fresh Apricots are at the Farmer´s Market ...

If I have forgotten to send a thank you note as a PM, please accept my apologies. This is why I have publicly thanked all of you.

My very best to a wonderful weekend.

Grazie Sempre.
Ciao.
Margi.;)

Addie,

Sefardic Braided Eggbread ( Chalah ) as it is called in the Madrid Capital is always nice too for French Toast.

Thanks Addie.

Due to all the imaginative and helpful replies and enormous feedback, I have copied down all these ideas, and shall now have a French Toast Brunch section in my notebook for future use ...

I am sure within one year, we shall have tried all your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Grazie.

Margi.

Last edited:
We like using hawaiian bread for french toast. Otherwise a dense cinnamon bread at your local bakery works nicely too.

Simon Baker: Thanks so much for your feedback

;) I just picked up on your Post, and wish to thank you very much.

I do agree, and have made it with Cinammon Bread, always successfully, and the Vet loves the aroma of cinammon as I do ...

Since, fresh apricots are at the Farmer´s Market, that sort of made me do a double think from fresh Berries to fresh Apricots and Cinammon Bread would be purr fect for this special Sunday 3rd June Brunch for two ...

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi. :)

Ella / To,

Yes, we have had Sefardic Egg Braided Bread here in Madrid Capital Spain, and it always has made a lovely French Toast and we are not even Jewish.

The thing is, I prefer to have Charly, my Baker prepare from scratch. Home made bread is too tedious work with oven, in such desert like heat ... It is like Egypt in the middle of the Sahara here ...

Cinammon egg bread can work with the fresh apricots ...
This is a real possible and other is Bill´s Berries with a different bread however.

Ciao.
Margi.

Thanks for feedback.

Last edited:
Croissants, halved lengthwise, & lightly dipped in batter (w/ some Grand Marnier). Topped with orange butter & powdered sugar or fresh strawberries.

For thicker bread(s) - french, italian etc., cut a pocket & fill w/ lemon zest/cream cheese.

If you feel very decadent, spread a some nutella between the bread slices, & serve with fresh strawberries & champagne.

Cerise,

Nice decadence ... Thank you very much for your feedback ... I now have 52 weeks of French Toast recipes, thanks to all my D.C. Colleagues ... The croissants sound wonderful. This is going on the list certainly.

Of course, my idea is fresh apricots at the farmer´s market, ( we love fresh apricots and their season here is very short lived unfortunately and they are so sweet and aromatically gorgeous ), so, this is something I wish to employ ... I have to sort thru all these stunner ideas ... and options tomorrow.

Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi

Last edited:
My thing isn't the bread as I have used many kinds. Its the custard/egg mixture. I like to vary between using orange liquor, De Serrano or vanilla extract.:yum:

Last edited:
I think, any white bread you can cut into thick slices is good for French toast. :)

Craig: A drizzle of Liquor, Fab idea

:) Craig,

Thanks for your helpful contribution and feedback. I have thought of an Apricot Cordial to pair with the fresh apricots as the fragrance would be so lovely.

I have used vanilla extract uncountable times ...

I shall organize all on Friday as I do not work on Fridays.

Kind regards and Grazie.
Ciao,
Margi. :( Earthquakes in Emilia Romagna and neighboring cities ...

Back
Top Bottom