"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Which Bread Do You Use For French Toast?

Buonasera, Good Evening & Buenas Tardes,

Thinking of an Intimate Brunch for Two next Sunday June 3rd. Which breads do you prefer using for French Toast ?

Though I have numerous recipes and the Le Cordon Bleu Breakfast Book, I would like to experiment a tad, however, we are not sugary sugary fanatics and no thanks to: maple or molasses ...

Normally, I have employed: Egg Bread with Egg Nog, Left Over Panecotta which is quite nice; a home made Raisin or home made Blueberry Bread ...

My sides are fresh tropical fruit: papaya, mango, pithaya and mint leaf.

Our beverage choices: Prosecco, Asti Spumante, Lambrusco, Cava, Champagne or Bloody Marys depending on the occasion ... or mood ...

Look forward to hearing from all of you once again.

Kindest, and have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If you're not looking for sweet, a multi-grain bread is good. I've been seeing 12 grain and once even 15 grain bread lately in the grocery.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I like to use a day-old baguette or San Francisco sour dough bread (day old) for French toast.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

thick cut Italian or French even a sourdough dipped in an egg mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream vanilla bean and vanilla extract sugar get bread well soaked then saute in butter til brown, we sometimes brush with more butter, Maple syrup, or even jam is great. In spring and summer we put strawberries and whipped cream over the french toast...
kadesma
Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I use Peprperidge Farm's Cinnamon Roll bread, minus the raisins. Or I sometimes will purchase chalah bread. I am not a bread eater. One loaf (if it didn't go moldy) could last me for a couple of months. Now I keep the bread in the freezer. I Food Saver it in two slice packets. The chalah has to be sliced by hand and I do the same. I got tired of using one or two slices and then tossing the rest of the loaf out a month later.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
If you're not looking for sweet, a multi-grain bread is good. I've been seeing 12 grain and once even 15 grain bread lately in the grocery.
I love french toast made with whole grain breads. I love french toast with any bread, but I love the texture and flavor the whole grain breads add.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I like to use Texas Toast bread, but I doubt if that particular type of bread is available in Europe. It's a standard pullman loaf, but the slices are twice as thick.

I've also used cinnamon raisin bread and that makes extremely good French toast.

If you want a French toast that is truly impressive for your intimate brunch, try this recipe from Bobby Flay:

French Toast Waffles

Ingredients:
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3/4 cups whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 8 slices good quality sliced white or wheat bread, crusts removed
  • Nonstick cooking spray or melted butter
  • 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
  • Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
  • Fresh mixed berries, for garnish
  • Sliced ripe bananas, for garnish
  • Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Instructions:

Crack the eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until smooth. Press down on bread slices to flatten slightly. Soak the bread in the egg mixture until completely soaked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Heat a square 4 slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Spray the top and bottom grates liberally with nonstick spray or melted butter. Remove the French toast from the eggs using a slotted spatula, allowing excess egg mixture to drip off. Make 4 at a time on the diagonal of the grates, pressing down gently at first, then adding pressure until the cover is completely closed. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove each French toast waffle to a plate. Repeat with the remaining french toasts.

Schmear each waffle with peanut butter, dust with confectioners' sugar, and drizzle with some of the mixed berry syrup. Garnish with fresh mixed berries, berry syrup, banana slices and mint sprig.

Mixed Berry Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries
  • 1/2 pint fresh blackberries
  • 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 heaping tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Instructions:

Combine the strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan, bring to boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.

Transfer the berry mixture to a blender or food processor, add the raspberry preserves and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I usually prefer sourdough for french toast, but also like Challah. I had a Panettone recently that I used for french toast and it was quite nice, although slightly sweet. It would be good served with a citrus flavored whipped cream.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Head Chef

I use whole wheat bread, lightly toasted.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

The Panettone sounds like an interesting choice.

I would also think about going with a Monte Cristo sandwich for a more substantial brunch entree.

Tags
bread