Which Bread Do You Use For French Toast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Buonasera, Good Evening & Buenas Tardes,

Thinking of an Intimate Brunch for Two next Sunday June 3rd. Which breads do you prefer using for French Toast ? :)

Though I have numerous recipes and the Le Cordon Bleu Breakfast Book, I would like to experiment a tad, however, we are not sugary sugary fanatics and no thanks to: maple or molasses ...

Normally, I have employed: Egg Bread with Egg Nog, Left Over Panecotta which is quite nice; a home made Raisin or home made Blueberry Bread ...

My sides are fresh tropical fruit: papaya, mango, pithaya and mint leaf.

Our beverage choices: Prosecco, Asti Spumante, Lambrusco, Cava, Champagne or Bloody Marys depending on the occasion ... or mood ... :yum:

Look forward to hearing from all of you once again.

Kindest, and have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
If you're not looking for sweet, a multi-grain bread is good. I've been seeing 12 grain and once even 15 grain bread lately in the grocery.

thick cut Italian or French even a sourdough dipped in an egg mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream vanilla bean and vanilla extract sugar get bread well soaked then saute in butter til brown, we sometimes brush with more butter, Maple syrup, or even jam is great. In spring and summer we put strawberries and whipped cream over the french toast...
kadesma

I use Peprperidge Farm's Cinnamon Roll bread, minus the raisins. Or I sometimes will purchase chalah bread. I am not a bread eater. One loaf (if it didn't go moldy) could last me for a couple of months. Now I keep the bread in the freezer. I Food Saver it in two slice packets. The chalah has to be sliced by hand and I do the same. I got tired of using one or two slices and then tossing the rest of the loaf out a month later. :yum:

If you're not looking for sweet, a multi-grain bread is good. I've been seeing 12 grain and once even 15 grain bread lately in the grocery.
I love french toast made with whole grain breads. I love french toast with any bread, but I love the texture and flavor the whole grain breads add. :cool:

I like to use Texas Toast bread, but I doubt if that particular type of bread is available in Europe. It's a standard pullman loaf, but the slices are twice as thick.
OTF403521S.jpg

I've also used cinnamon raisin bread and that makes extremely good French toast.

If you want a French toast that is truly impressive for your intimate brunch, try this recipe from Bobby Flay:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]French Toast Waffles [/FONT]

Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 large eggs[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3/4 cups whole milk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tablespoons sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pinch of salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]8 slices good quality sliced white or wheat bread, crusts removed[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Nonstick cooking spray or melted butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Confectioners' sugar, for garnish[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fresh mixed berries, for garnish[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sliced ripe bananas, for garnish[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish[/FONT]
Instructions:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Crack the eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly. Add the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until smooth. Press down on bread slices to flatten slightly. Soak the bread in the egg mixture until completely soaked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heat a square 4 slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Spray the top and bottom grates liberally with nonstick spray or melted butter. Remove the French toast from the eggs using a slotted spatula, allowing excess egg mixture to drip off. Make 4 at a time on the diagonal of the grates, pressing down gently at first, then adding pressure until the cover is completely closed. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove each French toast waffle to a plate. Repeat with the remaining french toasts. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Schmear each waffle with peanut butter, dust with confectioners' sugar, and drizzle with some of the mixed berry syrup. Garnish with fresh mixed berries, berry syrup, banana slices and mint sprig.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mixed Berry Sauce[/FONT]

Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pint fresh strawberries[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 pint fresh blackberries[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 pint fresh raspberries[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup granulated sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 heaping tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine the strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan, bring to boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Transfer the berry mixture to a blender or food processor, add the raspberry preserves and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I usually prefer sourdough for french toast, but also like Challah. I had a Panettone recently that I used for french toast and it was quite nice, although slightly sweet. It would be good served with a citrus flavored whipped cream.

I like to use Texas Toast bread, but I doubt if that particular type of bread is available in Europe. It's a standard pullman loaf, but the slices are twice as thick.
OTF403521S.jpg
Pullman loaf? Texas Toast bread? I don't think I've seen either in Canada. Or, at least not labeled as such. What exactly is this type of bread?

Pullman loaf? Texas Toast bread? I don't think I've seen either in Canada. Or, at least not labeled as such. What exactly is this type of bread?
[/LEFT]

Pullmans can be made of any bread. It takes it's name from the pans they are baked in.

Most often made from white bread for the store bought. I think King Arthur may have pullman pans.

I favor unsliced loaves for French toast. I cut the bread a little less than twice as thick as a normal bread slice, then cut a slit pocket in it and stuff it with yummies before dipping it in the appropriately seasoned egg wash: cinnamon raisin bread stuffed with stewed dried apples; peanut butter and bananas in chocolate bread; apricots and feta in sour dough. I guess I approach it like a breakfast Monte Cristo. I favor textury bread, but will not deny the joys of white bread and lots of butter for frying.

Thinking about a romantic or special brunch French toast at this season, I might try brioche, stuffed with marzipan and apricots. The egg wash should simply be eggy - maybe add an extra yolk to it. Serve it with a blackberry sauce as the syrup; raspberry would be prettier, but too sweet I think. YMMV.

[/LEFT]

Texas Toast is usually white bread that is the thickness of two slices. It is usually toasted on a grill or in a pan as it doesn't fit into the slots of a standard toaster. If used for French toast, it takes twice as long to cook as it soaks up a lot of the eggs. If you do a quick dip into the eggs, all you have is a thick slice of bread with egg on the outside. You have to allow some of the egg to be absorbed into the bread to have any flavor. :)

The picture tells me it is baked so that the pieces can be pulled apart, but doesn't tell me what kind of bread it is--it looks like whole wheat?

Texas toast is thick. Two slices thick. And it is white bread. Pullman bread is a shape of bread. Made in a square long pan with a top on it to keep it from rising when baking. It is often used in restaurants for sandwich making. Texas Toast is a Southern thing that has spread north. It is just white bread sliced thick. Whereas you would buy Wonder Bread, Texas Toast is the same thing only thicker and already sliced like Wonder Bread is. The name "Texas Toast" is a misnomer. It doesn't come toasted. And it doesn't fit into a standard toaster. You have to toast it on a griddle or in a frying pan, minus any fat. When used for sandwich making, there is often more bread than filling with Texas Toast. Best used for breakfast as toast. Definitely not a food for dieters. :chef:

I use organic whole grain bread that I buy at the health food store. We almost always have it with butter and maple syrup, just like pancakes.

Texas toast is thick. Two slices thick. And it is white bread. Pullman bread is a shape of bread. Made in a square long pan with a top on it to keep it from rising when baking. It is often used in restaurants for sandwich making. Texas Toast is a Southern thing that has spread north. It is just white bread sliced thick. Whereas you would buy Wonder Bread, Texas Toast is the same thing only thicker and already sliced like Wonder Bread is. The name "Texas Toast" is a misnomer. It doesn't come toasted. And it doesn't fit into a standard toaster. You have to toast it on a griddle or in a frying pan, minus any fat. When used for sandwich making, there is often more bread than filling with Texas Toast. Best used for breakfast as toast. Definitely not a food for dieters. :chef:
I wouldn't like it--thick slices of Wonder Bread would turn me off--if it has the texture and taste of Wonder Bread, not my cup of tea.

Back
Top Bottom