Who has the best challah recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is definitely not traditional, and I haven't tried it yet ( or know anyone who has), but it was circulating around the internet last week, and Im curious to try it.

Apple Honey Challah - Recipe for Rosh Hashanah Challah

BTW, Your challah is very impressive. It looks great!!

Larry

Honey will make the dough very heavy. I strongly disapprove any bread recipe that has honey. Cake yes, but not challah. :)

P.S. Nice breading technick. (sp?)

Last edited:
Charlie, that is one of those screwy words that we spell just to confuse folks like your self. Technique You were close though. You are very good at sounding out words. We get that spelling from the French. A French word that we took for our own.

Fairygirl, see what you have done? I have printed out the recipe and it is sitting in my recipe holder now for me to bake this week. I have everything except for enough flour and I need to buy more yeast. I have enough, but I always like to have extra on hand incase it doesn't proof. I always proof my yeast separate in warm water with a little food of flour or sugar, sometimes both, just incase it fails. I never trust it to just add to the dry ingredients. And I never use rapid rise yeast. I know I am old fashion.

I have to agree with Charlie on the honey. Many moons ago when Poo was just an infant, I made a loaf of bread using honey. Was out of sugar. The loaf was tasty, but not the light loaf I usually make. I have had my share of failures over the years, but learned by them. No honey, and ALWAYS test and proof the yeast separate.

I have made bread with Bell's Seasoning to use as stuffing for the turkey. Challah, white, wheat bread and have also tried pumpernickel. The last was a disaster. Will never go that route again. (Sorry Charlie!) We have an excellent Jewish commercial bakery right here in Boston that make the best pumpernickel.

But for me Challah makes the best French Toast going. I have my grocery list all made out with flour and yeast on the list. Will be off to shop at seven a.m. just as they unlock the doors! :angel:

My son married a Czech girl, and i wanted to make the equivalent of Czech Challah as a Xmas bread for her. My son e-mailed me the recipe, and the fun started!
The recipe was in Czech, which I had to translate, it was in metric, and they used weights rather that volumes (cups) for the ingredients.
I got the dough done in my bread maker, then braided it like a challah.
I put it in the oven, and after they came over, I proudly opened the oven and took it out. I do not know what i did wrong, but it came out looking like a huge Milk Bone! It still tasted good, however.

Arf! Arf! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :angel:

Thank you for the advice about the honey, I never would have known that. My birthday is Tuesday and my hubby promised he'd make French toast from my Challah for breakfast. I can't wait to see how your bread turns out.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

No wonder "Word" did not even had suggestion on Technique.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

No wonder "Word" did not even had suggestion on Technique.

Charlie, your adventures with the English language has given me some great laughs. We certainly don't make it easy for the new folks that come to our shores. :angel:

No you don't. But I have to admit, I can't spell in any language.

No you don't. But I have to admit, I can't spell in any language.

Pirate can't either. But the worst speller I have ever come across was when I lived in Texas. My next door neighbor called me with a question.

"How do you spell a?"

A long pause as I wait for her to continue.

"How do you spell a?"

"Spell what?"

"A, A, A, A Like I can't wait until I get "a" new dress."

The conversation continued with frustration on both sides as I tried to convince her it was a word of just one letter.

I have never made fun of folks who have a difficulty with spelling. There are so many rules to get it right, then it will turn on you and ignore that rule. And there is no way to explain why that happens.

Now math! Don't even show me two numbers in the same sentence side by side. And most of the time even with a pencil and paper in hand, and I am totally lost. So we all have our demons. I have finally given up and refused to even try to do mental math. I admit defeat. I am beaten down. Ask me a simple math problem, and the window in my head slams shut. I openly use my fingers to count, and if I run out of them, I take off my shoes and use my toes also. :angel:

I really like the Challah recipe in George Greenstein's Secrets of a Jewish Baker. The recipre may be found here. I've attached a photo of a loaf.

Attachments

• Challah.jpg
    Challah.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 294
My son married a Czech girl, and i wanted to make the equivalent of Czech Challah as a Xmas bread for her. My son e-mailed me the recipe, and the fun started!
The recipe was in Czech, which I had to translate, it was in metric, and they used weights rather that volumes (cups) for the ingredients.
I got the dough done in my bread maker, then braided it like a challah.
I put it in the oven, and after they came over, I proudly opened the oven and took it out. I do not know what i did wrong, but it came out looking like a huge Milk Bone! It still tasted good, however.

I have CZ blood - would you care to share that recipe?

Does she make kolaches?

I don't braid mine. I just make regular loafs in loaf pans. I will sometimes purchase a loaf from Market Basket and theirs is braided. But I find it hard to slice for French Toast. The braid likes to part when I dip it into the egg mixture. And that is the main purpose I like to make it in a loaf pan. Easier to slice for French Toast. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom