"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Who has the best challah recipe?

Let me start by saying I'm not a Jewish. I'm actually a Roman Catholic. But I admire and respect the Jewish faith. A few weeks ago I was very ill with a virus and needed to stay in bed for a few days. While I was laying there, I learned how to check out ebooks from the library from my phone. So I looked through the cookbooks and happened upon Marcy Goldman's A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking. Always wanting to branch out my skills, I checked it out. Immediately I was fascinated. I read the book from cover to cover. I was dying to bake something from that book but had to stay down a few days longer. Finally, I was well enough to get up and bake. So I chose her challah recipe that includes a sponge starter. I'd made challah before but this, this was the supreme challah! My question is this. Is this author some sort of gold standard in Jewish baking? Furthermore are there any cookbook authors that have an even better challah recipe?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Master Chef

not knowing the recipe, or tasting her chalah it is hard to say anything. I have tasted some excellent chalahs, and I have made some decent chalahs, in the end it is your taste, your taste buds, that's what matters.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441029012128.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	23346 A picture of my challah.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

This is definitely not traditional, and I haven't tried it yet ( or know anyone who has), but it was circulating around the internet last week, and Im curious to try it.

Apple Honey Challah - Recipe for Rosh Hashanah Challah

BTW, Your challah is very impressive. It looks great!!

Larry
Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Oooh that looks delicious!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't really make challah, but this looks really yum: Apple Honey Challah - Recipe for Rosh Hashanah Challah
Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Czech Challah

My son married a Czech girl, and i wanted to make the equivalent of Czech Challah as a Xmas bread for her. My son e-mailed me the recipe, and the fun started!
The recipe was in Czech, which I had to translate, it was in metric, and they used weights rather that volumes (cups) for the ingredients.
I got the dough done in my bread maker, then braided it like a challah.
I put it in the oven, and after they came over, I proudly opened the oven and took it out. I do not know what i did wrong, but it came out looking like a huge Milk Bone! It still tasted good, however.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Hahaha! I have a saying: they can't all be gold. And the hours I spend in the kitchen are my happiest. Baking bread fascinates me. There's just something about hitting that sweet spot where the dough is perfect and baby's bottom soft! I once actually went a year without buying one loaf of bread. Then we moved two times in the course of a year. I'm thinking of challenging myself to try it again.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Who has the best challah recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My son married a Czech girl, and i wanted to make the equivalent of Czech Challah as a Xmas bread for her. My son e-mailed me the recipe, and the fun started!
The recipe was in Czech, which I had to translate, it was in metric, and they used weights rather that volumes (cups) for the ingredients.
I got the dough done in my bread maker, then braided it like a challah.
I put it in the oven, and after they came over, I proudly opened the oven and took it out. I do not know what i did wrong, but it came out looking like a huge Milk Bone! It still tasted good, however.

Beagle LOVES Milk Bones, and would have appreciated your effort!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Oh my gosh! When ever I baked bread, especially my bacon cheese bread, my diabetic dog would find a way to jump up and eat what I baked. He passed on last July. Sure miss him.

Tags
recipe