"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Cook

Whole Wheat Flour vs. AP/bread flour

How interchangeable are the two? I've noticed a lot of whole wheat bread recipes include some ap or bread flour. Is there an advantage? Can you substitute one for the other one for one?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The issue is that whole wheat flour has less gluten than either of the others. As a result, breads, etc have trouble rising properly. You can make WW breads with no other flour but I believe you have to add gluten separately.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use a combination of flours. If you use just whole wheat flour, with no added gluten, you will get a very heavy, dense finished product. I like Wheat Montana Prairie Gold.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Cook

OK. I have made whole wheat bread using only whole wheat flour and haven't been totallyhappy so I'll try using some ap or bread flour.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Head Chef

I use about 2/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat for the best result. I know some folks use more whole wheat than that, but admittedly, they are better bread bakers. They must have a doughy thumb or something...

Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I have been a dedicated user of whole wheat hard and soft flours for almost 40 years. Currently I am able to make a great sliceable, non dense, loaf of bread made with all whole wheat flour that does not require any added wheat gluten. I follow the recipe that came with my Panasonic bread machine.

My last bread machine and its recipe called for added gluten and produced a lovely loaf too.

Keep experimenting. It is possible to make whole wheat bread that surprises folks that it has only whole wheat flour in it. FYI, I use King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat flour.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
The issue is that whole wheat flour has less gluten than either of the others.
Actually, whole wheat flour has more gluten. But the wheat germ breaks things up and makes it more difficult for the gluten strands to develop, so the flour under-performs compared to flours with equivalent levels of gluten.

To me, whole wheat flour is for whole wheat bread. I wouldn't try substituting it in most recipes, and never in cakes and pastries.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks for the info! I use some ww in my oatmeal cookies.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post

To me, whole wheat flour is for whole wheat bread. I wouldn't try substituting it in most recipes, and never in cakes and pastries.
I only use whole wheat flour in cakes and cookies. I use whole wheat pastry/cake/soft flour. Back when I could easily obtain whole wheat pastry flour, I would also use it for pancakes.....but I have switched to whole wheat bread/hard flour for pancakes and honestly can not tell any difference. I utilize several leavening tricks to turn out light whole grain pancakes.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Cook

Thanks, everyone.
Beth Z, can the bread machine recipe be done by hand? I don't have a bread machine.