"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 01-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I go out of my way to get our breads from Panera for soups, and dinners where bread is an important component. Around here it's really good.
My sister and I used to go to the one in Everett. I always ordered their soup de jour in a bread bowl. And of course I couldn't leave without a loaf. Panera was also one of the very first that provided free wifi. So you go a lot of college students that would sit there doing their research or homework. All the time eating their goodies. Sure beats having to get up and go to the fridge and discover nothing there you really wanted to eat.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We have little to no access to bread like this in our area. In fact crusty bread in these parts is considered inferior and loaf type white bread is the staple.
Might be because many have false teeth.....LOL

We do have Publix and Panera bread in town. I know Publix makes good bread. Does anyone know about Panera Bread?

Usually when I find good bread, I remove most of the insides and enjoy the crust. To me, bread is the crust.
Panera has very good bread.

Pretty much any decent grocery store will have something to offer. They'll also likely carry the gummy stuff too!

I moved to a rural town to work in a new store that my company was opening. Every day there would be people banging our crusty bread and ask us why we were selling "old" bread. We had a very hard time selling crusty bread in that store, that and any cheese that wasn't orange...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Pretty much any decent grocery store will have something to offer. They'll also likely carry the gummy stuff too!

I moved to a rural town to work in a new store that my company was opening. Every day there would be people banging our crusty bread and ask us why we were selling "old" bread. We had a very hard time selling crusty bread in that store, that and any cheese that wasn't orange...
And here in my town, it is always white Land of Lakes cheese that sells like mad. Most of the folks who stand at the deli counter with their number in their hand are just waiting to buy the LOL cheese. So now you can buy a half or full pound of precut in the ice bin right across from the deli counter. The deli counter no longer displays it in the cooler window. My store has an in-store bakery. One time I wanted a loaf of round bread for a muffalata sandwich. I had to wait while they baked it for me. It was still hot when I got to the checkout.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
.... I know Publix makes good bread. Does anyone know about Panera Bread?

Usually when I find good bread, I remove most of the insides and enjoy the crust. To me, bread is the crust.
It's more like "Paner-ah!". Very good. Good enough to eat even the insides. They opened one about 4 miles from our home and I've very fortunate I haven't gained 10 pounds...a month.

In case you think I exaggerate, I offer Exhibit A:

And Exhibit B:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-18 21.44.39.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	20618   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-18 21.45.43.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	20619  

Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is no Panera here...but it would not be able to compare to our Le Petit Outre

I am addicted to the Kalamata Olive rolls, with a slice of sharp cheddar...best thing ever! And their pizza dough.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

You're right PF, as good as Panera might be, it still can't equal a real bread baker's bread. However, Panera is about 4 miles away. Any real bread bakery is at least 11 miles away. Then there's the one 17 miles away. But our very favorite "local" bread baker is a whopping 29.5 miles away! Rose32 Bread has a wood-fired brick oven and make the crustiest breads with the best-textured "guts" we've ever had. Looks like we need to make a road trip there soon. As soon as I use up the 2 1/2 loaves of bread worth I just put into the freezer.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I am lucky that my favorite bakery is just up the street. Close enough I can get it fresh every day.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have a French bakery down the street but I rarely go, I head home in the opposite direction.
http://www.lafarmbakery.com

He's doing a class at the new kitchen store, but it is sold out. Hopefully he does another, if he does I'll be there!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Master Chef

If you ever come to Syracuse stop at the Columbus Baking Company, make sure you buy two loaves because the first one won't make it home!

They have been at it for over 100 years in the same location. When I was young and broke they were open 24 hours a day and we used to stop in for a loaf of warm bread after a night on the town, it was fifty cents a loaf back then.

About Columbus Baking Co. : Columbus Baking Company
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Crusty bread with bite to it is easier to eat with dentures...soft white bread just becomes gummy and balls up. Crackers and crisp cookies over soft cookies for the folks with dentures, so much easier to eat.
Sorry, but I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I go out of my way to get our breads from Panera for soups, and dinners where bread is an important component. Around here it's really good.
Thanks Andy, Maybe now I can get bread that i really like. We have been relying on Publix, but the closest store is almost 30 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I can imagine. This is one reason they are not going to build any Publix stores near us. I have called their corporate office and was told that the demographics in my area would not support a Public store.
Even the store we do have in the state are not as busy as the Publix's were back home in S. Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It's more like "Paner-ah!". Very good. Good enough to eat even the insides. They opened one about 4 miles from our home and I've very fortunate I haven't gained 10 pounds...a month.
In case you think I exaggerate, I offer Exhibit A:
And Exhibit B:
I'm sold Goddess. Panera it is. Maybe today? Only 16 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, I am lucky that my favorite bakery is just up the street. Close enough I can get it fresh every day.
That would be nirvana to me. I can dream though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you ever come to Syracuse stop at the Columbus Baking Company, make sure you buy two loaves because the first one won't make it home!

They have been at it for over 100 years in the same location. When I was young and broke they were open 24 hours a day and we used to stop in for a loaf of warm bread after a night on the town, it was fifty cents a loaf back then.

About Columbus Baking Co. : Columbus Baking Company
Your sig seems to indicate you are in Mount Pilot? NC? You are aunt Bea after all.