"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
martha stewart has super recipe for light rolls. i googled but you can go to her web site. hope this helps

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Master Chef
Ok, I've praised this recipe, given me by my DIL. It makes the softest, melt-in-your-mouth dinner rolls that I have ever eaten. They are slightly sweet and very buttery. I also used the recipe to make the best cinnamon rolls, and yeast raised doughnuts that I have ever made. It turns out that this recipe was a doughnut recipe, used to make dinner rolls, and was handed down through multiple generations in my DIL's family. The person from each generation who made it best was chosen to make dinner rolls from it at every holiday or get together. My Son married the right gal. Oh, and it makes great fry bread (scones) as well. I suspect it would be great for long johns and jelly filled doughnuts too. But go ahead and make dinner rolls from it. You won't be disappointed.

Jeni’s Yeast Potato Rolls
1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7.5 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading
Let raise till double then roll out and cut into circles with a biscuit cutter, or glass that's been dipped in flour. Dip the circles in melted butter, fold in half and place on greased pan.
Let raise again. Bake @ 350 for 15 min until golden brown.
There you go, hope it works out for you

It worked for me. The rolls are fabulous.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Thanks. i tried the potato rolls (with instant mashed taters) but my family requested I go back to my original recipe....I am assuming now the amount of sugar I put in the rolls just makes a heavier roll than I would like.

I had a different outcome today - I made 2 separate (identical, I thought) batches and the tops of the second batch split....I've never had that happen before with yeast bread. Does anyone know what caused that? I took a picture but lost patience when it wouldn't upload.

Linda123 is offline   Reply With Quote