Applesauce in muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
I love using applesauce in muffins to reduce the fat. Please share your fave muffin recipes that use this technique My old standby is:
Chipper Banana Muffins
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
2 ripe bananas
1/2 C applesauce
1/3 C canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 C buttermilk

Oven 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients plus the nuts and chocolate chips in a large bowl. Put the bananas and all the other wet ingredients in a blender and blend til smooth. Pour the wet mix into the dry and stir just until all flour is combined. Bake 20-25 min. On removing from oven, use a fork to tip the muffins in their cups so air circulates around them. I don't ever use paper muffin cups, but you can if you want to. Blending the banana part gives a very light, bubbly texture to these.

Although I'm not a fan of reducing fat and replacing it with applesauce, it looks like you are doing it right here by leaving in enough oil to produce a tender product!

Have you ever tried apple butter instead of apple sauce? It doesn't save calories, but it is wonderful in bran muffins. Besides, I still have 3 doz pints of apple butter from the fall of 2012 and I am scrambling to use it before it goes bad. My apple butter is seriously thick and supper spicey, as I hate wimpy apple butter. It is also good one a poke spice cake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom