"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Quickbreads are a category of batter based deserts that are leavened chemically (baking powder, or baking soda and an acid), rather than biologically (yeast). They resemble cakes in texture, but are typically made in muffin tins, or loaf pans. These include, but are not limited to muffins of all kinds, banana bread, apple bread, pumpkin bread, spice bread, zucchini bread, etc., and are not specifically a cake.

For another banana bread recipe that you might enjoy, try this one - Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, you're making Princess Fullofpoop ( what was my name again?) fall asleep here
Did I mention I only passed science because they wouldn't let me play netball if I didn't ?
Just kidding Chief, good info

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Chief, you're making Princess Fullofpoop ( what was my name again?) fall asleep here
Did I mention I only passed science because they wouldn't let me play netball if I didn't ?
Just kidding Chief, good info
Snip, you are a brat. No wonder my daughter gets along with you so well. And for calling me boring, I'm not going to tell you the great, and easy desert idea I've come up with.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Snip, you are a brat. No wonder my daughter gets along with you so well. And for calling me boring, I'm not going to tell you the great, and easy desert idea I've come up with.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Brats are great, pass the sauerkraut and mustard
I'll get that desert recipe yet, you know you want to share
Where is Princess Yapsalot? Miss her She's been very quiet!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Beg to differ--this is the absolutely best banana bread I've ever eaten, and I don't like bananas:

Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!

Post #56.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I am going to try that one CWS
Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Quickbreads are a category of batter based deserts that are leavened chemically (baking powder, or baking soda and an acid), rather than biologically (yeast). They resemble cakes in texture, but are typically made in muffin tins, or loaf pans. These include, but are not limited to muffins of all kinds, banana bread, apple bread, pumpkin bread, spice bread, zucchini bread, etc., and are not specifically a cake.

For another banana bread recipe that you might enjoy, try this one - Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
I thought my recipe for banana-nut bread was great right up until this morning. The difference in texture and taste is incredible, and I will never make banana bread by any other recipe again!

The BEST Banana Bread

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to climb against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
1¾ cup sugar
1½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
1½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don't puree the banana as it needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened and no longer visible. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

Before, I had mixed my batter in my KitchenAid, the wet stuff first, then added the dry and mixed some more. Making banana bread with this method yields a hearty, beautiful loaf that is absolutely delicious!
Mine is also labeled "Best" Banana Bread. It's similar but no yogurt or buttermilk. The only liquid in mine is the eggs and over-ripe bananas. Mine uses only 1 cup of sugar, brown and white half and half, and I also add a tsp of cinnamon. I do mash the bananas well with a fork to allow them to distribute their liquid. It tends to be a little heavy, but it's the way my mom and my grandmother made it, so I'm just continuing the tradition. My sister has broken from her heritage with a new recipe that is more cake like, and to be honest, I find it a bit dry and bland.

And finally, my apologies to the thread starter, but I can't imagine ruining it with coffee or chocolate. I'll qualify that by saying that I can't stand the taste of coffee in any form (neither my wife nor I drink the stuff, and we only have a little 2 cup coffee maker for guests who can't start the morning without it). Although I like chocolate in moderation, it's so overused in sweets that I'm usually grateful when I don't need to add it, either before or after the baking.

Tags
banana, bananas, bread, recipe