Banana Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
Nigellissima: Italian breakfast banana bread | Mail Online

This is described as banana bread but it is more of a lovely cake. One of the nicest banana bread/cakes I have tasted though, it has a hint of coffee in it too. It worked extremely well gluten free.

I topped it with chocolate philadelphia, naughty but nice. ;)

Attachments

• Nigella Banana Bread.jpg
    Nigella Banana Bread.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 349
Oooh, with espresso powder AND chocolate Philly, oh yum!

Gravy Queen said:
Nigellissima: Italian breakfast banana bread | Mail Online

This is described as banana bread but it is more of a lovely cake. One of the nicest banana bread/cakes I have tasted though, it has a hint of coffee in it too. It worked extremely well gluten free.

I topped it with chocolate philadelphia, naughty but nice. ;)

Here on the states this is called "quick bread" even though it's more like a cake or muffin, likely because it's baked in a load pan.

Quickbreads are a category of batter based deserts that are leavened chemically (baking powder, or baking soda and an acid), rather than biologically (yeast). They resemble cakes in texture, but are typically made in muffin tins, or loaf pans. These include, but are not limited to muffins of all kinds, banana bread, apple bread, pumpkin bread, spice bread, zucchini bread, etc., and are not specifically a cake.

For another banana bread recipe that you might enjoy, try this one - http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/best-banana-bread-ive-ever-had-4730.html

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Quickbreads are a category of batter based deserts that are leavened chemically (baking powder, or baking soda and an acid), rather than biologically (yeast). They resemble cakes in texture, but are typically made in muffin tins, or loaf pans. These include, but are not limited to muffins of all kinds, banana bread, apple bread, pumpkin bread, spice bread, zucchini bread, etc., and are not specifically a cake.

For another banana bread recipe that you might enjoy, try this one - http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/best-banana-bread-ive-ever-had-4730.html

Chief, you're making Princess Fullofpoop ( what was my name again?) fall asleep here :LOL:
Did I mention I only passed science because they wouldn't let me play netball if I didn't ?
Just kidding Chief, good info :angel:

Chief, you're making Princess Fullofpoop ( what was my name again?) fall asleep here :LOL:
Did I mention I only passed science because they wouldn't let me play netball if I didn't ?
Just kidding Chief, good info :angel:

Snip, you are a brat. No wonder my daughter gets along with you so well.:LOL: And for calling me boring, I'm not going to tell you the great, and easy desert idea I've come up with.:-p

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Snip, you are a brat. No wonder my daughter gets along with you so well.:LOL: And for calling me boring, I'm not going to tell you the great, and easy desert idea I've come up with.:-p

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Brats are great, pass the sauerkraut and mustard :LOL:
I'll get that desert recipe yet, you know you want to share :angel:
Where is Princess Yapsalot? Miss her :( She's been very quiet!

I thought my recipe for banana-nut bread was great right up until this morning. The difference in texture and taste is incredible, and I will never make banana bread by any other recipe again!

The BEST Banana Bread

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to climb against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:
2 cups AP flour
1¾ cup sugar
1½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
1½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don't puree the banana as it needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened and no longer visible. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.

Before, I had mixed my batter in my KitchenAid, the wet stuff first, then added the dry and mixed some more. Making banana bread with this method yields a hearty, beautiful loaf that is absolutely delicious!

Mine is also labeled "Best" Banana Bread. It's similar but no yogurt or buttermilk. The only liquid in mine is the eggs and over-ripe bananas. Mine uses only 1 cup of sugar, brown and white half and half, and I also add a tsp of cinnamon. I do mash the bananas well with a fork to allow them to distribute their liquid. It tends to be a little heavy, but it's the way my mom and my grandmother made it, so I'm just continuing the tradition. My sister has broken from her heritage with a new recipe that is more cake like, and to be honest, I find it a bit dry and bland.

And finally, my apologies to the thread starter, but I can't imagine ruining it with coffee or chocolate. I'll qualify that by saying that I can't stand the taste of coffee in any form (neither my wife nor I drink the stuff, and we only have a little 2 cup coffee maker for guests who can't start the morning without it). Although I like chocolate in moderation, it's so overused in sweets that I'm usually grateful when I don't need to add it, either before or after the baking.

Back
Top Bottom