Banana Nut Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Banana Nut Bread

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (4 oz) shortening
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 soft, ripe bananas, mashed

Cream sugar and shortening; add eggs, flour, soda, bananas, and chopped nuts. Pour banana bread batter into 1 greased and floured loaf pan; bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This banana nut bread recipe makes 1 loaf.

I've never done the peanut butter spread...Sounds like it could be good...Especially if the bread had Puck-A-Nuts in it.....:).
when my oldest girl was little she liked peanut butter and banana sammies. i would mash the banana with the peanut butter add a little wheat germ and cinnamon, mixed it up till it looked like a mud pie :LOL: and then spread on bread, cut into triangles. we would eat them with glass of milk with strawberry quick in it.

Hi

Once this is all mixed up, I guess there is no reason why I couldn't bake it in the breadmaker? Just thinking it might use a little less energy than heating the whole oven.

Hi

Once this is all mixed up, I guess there is no reason why I couldn't bake it in the breadmaker? Just thinking it might use a little less energy than heating the whole oven.
sorry i can't give advise on that as i never used a bread maker. would it make any difference that it isn't a yeast bread?

Oooooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! peanut butter and bananas! i did that for my kids when they were growing up and ooooooh how good it is, Yummy!

Banana Nut Bread

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (4 oz) shortening
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 soft, ripe bananas, mashed

Cream sugar and shortening; add eggs, flour, soda, bananas, and chopped nuts. Pour banana bread batter into 1 greased and floured loaf pan; bake at 325° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This banana nut bread recipe makes 1 loaf.

Thanks msmofet! It sounds delicious! I cant wait to give it a try today!

Msmofet?

I'm planning on trying your recipe today..Right after everyone clears out of my kitchen..I do have a question about it.

Had a no brainer day yesterday.Assumed it would take more bananas then what's required in your recipe.Looks like I'll be doubling it..To keep the bananas from browning,while I blend several batches in the blender.How much lemon juice would I use..Estimates are fine I'll eye it.Not sure if it should be by teaspoons or tablespoons..

Thank you

Munky.

I just made a batch last week. The recipe called for 2 cups of flour and 4 mashed bananas(1 cup). Probably could have used another banana or two. What I made is about double of the recipe posted above. It called for 1 tsp of lemon juice. Think you would be in the ballpark with that.

Hi

My breadmaker has a "quick" setting" for making breads leavened with BS and BP. The rise, knead and punch down cycles are eliminated. I think most bread makers probably have a similar option.

I just made a batch last week. The recipe called for 2 cups of flour and 4 mashed bananas(1 cup). Probably could have used another banana or two. What I made is about double of the recipe posted above. It called for 1 tsp of lemon juice. Think you would be in the ballpark with that.

That was perfect timing Randy..Spooky even...Went with 1 teaspoon for the doubled batch.Added 2 additional bananas just to do it..They're baking now.

Thank you

Munky.

Here it is...OMG!!!...It's goooood!!!!!!!!
Thank you Msmofet. Couldn't wait for it to cool completely before having a slice.Glad I didn't.When the kids find out it's around,might be the only one I get.Now that's some serious banana nut bread :)

Munky.

img_857648_0_32b973d4ba9644e516efc7446dfe6583.jpg

Here it is...OMG!!!...It's goooood!!!!!!!!
Thank you Msmofet. Couldn't wait for it to cool completely before having a slice.Glad I didn't.When the kids find out it's around,might be the only one I get.Now that's some serious banana nut bread :)

Munky.

img_857652_0_32b973d4ba9644e516efc7446dfe6583.jpg
thank you munky!! that bread looks sooooooooooooooo good!! i hope you get more than one slice!! thanks for the feed back and the picture.

Ok. Now you've done it to me yet again.:LOL: I have a wonderful recipe for banana nut bread given by a DC member who had to bow off the site a few years back. She went by the handle - Audio and was a wizard with all things candy. Her banana bread is fabulous. And now, it looks like I have another incredible banana nut bread recipe to try. If you want Audio's recipe, let me know and I'll post it. That'll give you options. Her recipe featured a finished product with chunks of banana in it, as the banana was loosely mashed so as to provide those yummy fruit chunks. This gave the bread an intense banana flavor and moist texture.

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to give it a try, but not this pay period. I have a special birthday luncheon to make for my eldest child (31 years old is what she's gonna be)of my smouldering chicken recipe with veggi & cheese pasties, but made with a yeast bread dough. And the desert will be my modified carrot cake recipe made into muffins, some with icing, and some without. And now, my food money allowance is spent (heavy sigh).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom