Banana-Nut Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Someone asked me to post the recipe for banana-nut muffins with yogurt from Cooks Illustrated, but I can't remember which thread that was in :blush: To avoid copyright problems, I'm linking to the recipe that someone posted on their blog: Banana-Nut Muffins from Cooks Illustrated.

The recipe calls for walnuts; I used pecans because I like them better. Yummy stuff.

Attachments

• banana-walnut-muffins.jpg
    banana-walnut-muffins.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 429
I just use my regular banana nut bread recipe and pour it into muffin tins. Bake at the same temp, but only for 20-25 minutes.

I just use my regular banana nut bread recipe and pour it into muffin tins. Bake at the same temp, but only for 20-25 minutes.

I tried that with my banana-nut bread recipe, but the muffins didn't rise as much and weren't as moist as they are with this recipe.

I tried that with my banana-nut bread recipe, but the muffins didn't rise as much and weren't as moist as they are with this recipe.
That recipe is a lot like mine, though I don't add any spices. In what way is your banana nut bread recipe different from that recipe.

I don't really expect my muffins or nut bread to rise as much as the stuff other people make, 'cause I use whole grain flour. On the other hand, they are really moist. Do you use the trick of using frozen overripe bananas and reducing the liquid that when they thaw?

My bread recipe doesn't use yogurt, for one thing. I don't really want to take the time to compare them. I like this one better for muffins and someone asked me to share it.

My bread recipe doesn't use yogurt, for one thing. I don't really want to take the time to compare them. I like this one better for muffins and someone asked me to share it.
Well, I can understand that. I didn't bother looking up my recipe, just compared from what I remember.

I found the recipe while I was putting away some stuff in the kitchen. The other main difference is that this recipe calls for finely mincing the bananas, rather than mashing them. I guess that gives the finished muffins a bit of moisture in each bite that's different from mashed bananas. I have used frozen/thawed/reduced liquid bananas for banana bread, but not for this recipe. I think that really bumped up the banana flavor, but I'm not sure it increased the moisture.

The banana bread recipe I used for years was Betty Crocker's; then Cooks Illustrated published one a couple years ago they call the Ultimate Banana Bread. That's where I first learned about reducing the liquid from thawed bananas and using that in the recipe. That recipe also calls for shingling slices of fresh banana on top of the loaf, to increase the moisture factor even more. It does take more time, but it's definitely worth it :) I might try it next time I make banana muffins. I have a few bananas browning on the counter right now ... :)

I use a simple recipe when I make banana bread (love walnuts in mine). I use a mini loaf pan and they are always very moist. I use a mini processor to puree the bananas.

Back
Top Bottom