Beer Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
This is a very rough recipe. There are so many versions of Beer Bread online that I will post a general recipe, showing the variables. If you want a sweeter bread, use the maximum amount of sugar. Same with the range of butter - you want it richer, use more.

Oven pre-heated to 375 degrees
greased loaf pan

3 cups sifted flour (you can use self-rising)
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 TBSP to 1/2 cup sugar

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Whisk to blend.

1 12-ounce bottle or can of beer

Add beer to dry ingredients and mix just until blended.

2 TBSP to 1/2 cup butter, melted

You can either mix the butter into the flour-beer mixture if you want a soft crust loaf OR you can pour the butter over the top of the loaf once it is in the pan for a crisp crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for an hour, then remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

My loaf had 1/4 cup sugar and a generous 2 TBSP melted butter poured on top of the loaf. Much more butter than that, and the crust seems greasy.

Although tasty, this bread isn't as good the second day as it is when you first bake it. Himself made sure that wasn't going to be an issue with our loaf.

Attachments

• 2016-01-14 23.34.52.jpg
    2016-01-14 23.34.52.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 219
Thank you for the recipe CG, and also for your suggestions! I'm going to have to buy a bottle of beer and try this. :) I bet it would be great toasted the next day, with butter or jam. :yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised when Himself said the same thing last night as I bagged up that little piece. He did toast it today, and had it with a bit of an apple-walnut conserve. He said it was good!

Back
Top Bottom