Best way to store muffins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you put the zip baggies in the fridge? I'm guessing the muffins could get moldy if left at room temperature.

I keep any baked goods, bread, cookies, muffins, etc. in the fridge or freezer in ziplocks. Bread will last a long time in the freezer. I would assume muffins would be fine too.. Just gently defrost in the microwave, like 30 seconds on defrost.

Last edited:
I store muffins in the freezer, but wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then store those in a sealed plastic bag, because I've heard this is supposed to help prevent freezer burn. If I'm in a hurry, I'll use the microwave to defrost them, but I've found muffins have the best texture and flavor if they are allowed to defrost at room temperature.

Thank you for the storage suggestions. I don't have a microwave so I probably won't freeze them. Most of the foods I defrost from my freezer don't taste that great.

I store muffins in the freezer, but wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then store those in a sealed plastic bag, because I've heard this is supposed to help prevent freezer burn. If I'm in a hurry, I'll use the microwave to defrost them, but I've found muffins have the best texture and flavor if they are allowed to defrost at room temperature.

that is exactly what i do with leftover muffins. am going to make banana strawberry muffins a bit later. will keep in sealed container for a few days, in case my babies come over. then will freeze. :chef:

babetoo said:
that is exactly what i do with leftover muffins. am going to make banana strawberry muffins a bit later. will keep in sealed container for a few days, in case my babies come over. then will freeze. :chef:

Banana strawberry muffins sound yummy. I'd love to find a gluten free recipe!

I missed your comment about not having a microwave, kitchengoddess. I would imagine defrosting muffins in a toaster oven would dry them out. I also agree that freezing muffins can affect the flavor if frozen too long. I always store freshly made French bread on the counter top in a plastic food storage bag, squeezing as much of the air out as possible, then tie it with a twisty. This likely doesn't protect the bread from mold, but it does keep it soft.

Good luck! Let us know if you found a method that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom