"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
this link doesn't work for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
Master Chef

this is very strange indeed.

look at these 2 screenshots
the first one shows the link in url form and when i click on it it is broken

the second one is after i quoted the post and now it shows in text form and it works when i click on it.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Very strange. It's the same for me. the link in Karen's post shows the URL (on my screen it doesn't wrap like it does on msmofet's) and it brings up a "page not found" error, and the quoted link in msmofet's post shows the title of the page and brings me to the post with the recipe.

There's probably a better place to post this, but I'm not sure where. If an admin chooses to move this I won't be offended, but I will appreciate if you let me know where to look for replies.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Really! My personal experience of growing, harvesting, and drying corn to be taken to a grist mill for grinding into meal has shown me that the addition of Wheat flour is not necessary for cornbread. The nature of the grinding process creates a certain level of Corn flour within the meal itself. With the addition of a fat (I like Corn Oil), baking powder/soda, salt, milk/buttermilk and eggs to the meal a delicious cornbread can be made. If I feel additional flour is needed in some applications, I prefer to use Corn flour (not to be confused with Corn starch) rather than Wheat flour.

Enjoy!

Nice. I will have to try this. Have you experimented at all with store bought cornmeal? That's all I tend to have. I could grind some amount of cornmeal into flour with my fp or my (spice dedicated) coffee mill, but I think my grain mill is not supposed to be used with corn. (working from memory here, have to go hunt down the manual to be sure)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
Nice. I will have to try this. Have you experimented at all with store bought cornmeal? That's all I tend to have. I could grind some amount of cornmeal into flour with my fp or my (spice dedicated) coffee mill, but I think my grain mill is not supposed to be used with corn. (working from memory here, have to go hunt down the manual to be sure)
Russ...HERE is one source for Corn Flour. I'm sure there are many more. I buy Corn flour from an Indian Market so you may find it in specialty type stores/markets. I've never seen it in the main line grocery stores in my area except in the form of some commercial fish fry products whose ingredients are: Corn Flour.

Yes, I have used "sto-bought" corn meals....My pantry is never without Martha White or White Lily SR Corn Meals...I use them frequently as a base for breading purposes...Even make cornbread/hush puppies with them at times.... Also, the SR products usually contain a small amount of Wheat flour that gives bread a finer, lighter texture! Good stuff!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Thanks Uncle Bob! I found some of that very stuff today in a local store that I knew stocked a good selection of Bob's Red Mill items. Will be trying out cornbread soon.

Do you have a recipe I should try, or should I just go with the recipe linked at the top of this thread and sub corn flour for the AP?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

What type of meal do you have..?? Is it a shelf rising meal or a plain meal??

Then again...it doesn't matter. Just follow the directions of your recipe, and if it calls for flour then use the corn flour instead of wheat....Personally I would probably cut back on the amount of flour a recipe called for...If the recipe said 1 Cup of meal...1 cup of flour ...I would use 1 1/2 cups meal, 1/2 cup of flour....or none at all....I prefer a coarser corn bread rather than those with a more cake like texture..You can play with recipes/ratios until you find what you like...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #28
Head Chef

Stone ground cornmeal makes the best cornbread, IMHO. Has a nice crunch and more flavor than the Quaker and Jiffy types. It also needs to be fresh--store it in the freezer, not in the pantry. (Unless you make cornbread every night!)
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Stone ground cornmeal makes the best cornbread, IMHO. Has a nice crunch and more flavor than the Quaker and Jiffy types. It also needs to be fresh--store it in the freezer, not in the pantry. (Unless you make cornbread every night!)
+1

Don't know what I'm gonna do however...My old Miller passed away, and I'm down to my last 15 pounds or so...That old guy and his mill was a "well oiled machine" together....His DW said he love that mill more than her....

Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
Head Chef

Sorry the link didn't work - it still works for me (go figure!) Here is the recipe, which I posted originally on DC - Katie E. pointed out that it might be improved by baking it in a cast iron skillet, and I'm sure she is right.

KAREN'S BEST CORNBREAD

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour into a buttered 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with honey butter. __________________

Tags
cornbread, sweet