"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i grew up in the south and cornbread was done in heavy iron skillet, in the oven. sorta flat and crispy. mostly now i make a knock off of marie callenders corn bread, kinda light and flaky and sweet. like each for its own merits.

p.s. sometimes i add whole kernel corn and or green chilies, chopped , canned . drain and add to batter, also once in a while cheese.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I always use stone-ground cornmeal and bacon grease for my cornbread. I like to mix wheat flour and cornmeal, because pure cornmeal makes it too dry and crumbly for my taste. The proportions are optional (up to 50/50, depending on personal taste). Here's one of my favorites (Mama has also posted this recipe on her Mama's Southern Cooking website):

2/3 cup plain white cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons (approx.) bacon grease
1 cup (approx.) milk

Melt the bacon grease in an 8" or 9" heavy skillet over medium-high heat (on my electric range I use heat setting 6-7). In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together with a large spoon. Add the egg and 2/3 of the milk. Stir to mix then pour most of the melted bacon grease into the batter, leaving a little in the bottom of the skillet. Stir again and check the consistency. It should be pourable, about the consistency of thick pancake batter. If needed, add more milk or a little water.
Pour the batter into the skillet, cover and immediately reduce the heat to medium-low (about setting 2-3 on my range). Cook about 12 minutes, until the edges begin to appear dry and it's beginning to set in the center. There should be bubbles on top that aren't closing back up. Run a spatula/ pancake turner under the bread, lift it slightly (it should be firm enough not to break or fall apart), put the skillet upside down over the top, and flip the whole thing so the uncooked portion is now in the bottom of the skillet. Cover again and cook another 10 minutes or so. Turn it out onto a plate, cut into wedges and serve it hot with butter. Serves 6.

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
Head Chef

Uncle Bob, I like this brand: All Natural Flours & Corn Meals | Hodgson Mill

I can buy it (usually) at the local WalMart.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

Thanks for the tip....I see some local ground meal here and there, but (in the distant past) it wasn't much punkin!! Not sure if it was the variety of corn, not dried properly prior to milling or what...I considered trying to buy my old miller's mill... If she (the Widow) would even sell it, I would have to build a small out building just to house it...Not sure I wanna get that involved...People worrying you at odd times wanting you to grind a 2 gallon water bucket of corn.. ---- Maybe it's already been sold to another local entrepreneur, and I can take advantage of it...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Uncle Bob,

I've been buying my stoneground cornmeal and grits from Nora Mill Granery in Helen, Georgia: www.noramill.com. They also have great sourwood honey and blackberry jam, among other items. The prices are reasonable, the quality is great and they're nice folks. You might want to give them a try.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Uncle Bob,

I've been buying my stoneground cornmeal and grits from Nora Mill Granery in Helen, Georgia: www.noramill.com. They also have great sourwood honey and blackberry jam, among other items. The prices are reasonable, the quality is great and they're nice folks. You might want to give them a try.
Thank you my friend...I've had their Stone ground grits in the past, but not their meal... and as you say...Good stuff!!! Right now I'm finishing up 10 lbs of Anson Mills Antebellum Grits...I will cook a big pot Saturday morning to go with my Country ham and red-eye gravy...Yum!!!

Anson Mills Products

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #37
Executive Chef

THat would make nice corn meal muffins, but for me corn bread is not sweet and has no white flour.

corn meal, eggs, salt, baking soda and powder, buttermilk, into a HOT greased with bacon fat skillet, into a HOT 425/450 oven for 25-30 min. That will give you cornbread.
And gluten free eaters will love you for it too!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
THat would make nice corn meal muffins, but for me corn bread is not sweet and has no white flour.

corn meal, eggs, salt, baking soda and powder, buttermilk, into a HOT greased with bacon fat skillet, into a HOT 425/450 oven for 25-30 min. That will give you cornbread.
And gluten free eaters will love you for it too!
I'll take 1/3 of that skillet.......

Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

i also use this brand when i can find it.

Tags
cornbread, sweet