Biscuit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wills53

Assistant Cook
Although my mom was a wonderful southern cook and I learned so much from her I never did learn how to make her light, fluffy, tall and perfect biscuits. I need your best recipe for them. I'm 55 years old and still haven't mastered the perfect southern biscuit. Help!

Kathy, did you put the sugar in the biscuits? Seems like a tablespoon would make them taste sweet slightly.

:) Wills53 I can not make a good biscuit to save my life I can make some of the hardest pastries etc with no problem but for some strange reason I just cant make a decent biscuit.

I don't have a recipe for biscuits, just use the dump method I learned from my Mom. It took me forever to learn to make a good southern biscuit though. My kids actully learned to make them better before I did. I can do it now though. For some reason I can't start mine with my hands the way the rest of my family does. I have to start with a fork or spoon, mixing the shortening into the flour then adding my buttermilk. Once I get a good dough going I can proceed with my hands. I then pat the dough out and cut my biscuits. Everyone else in the family pinches or chokes them off instead of cutting.

Here is a good sounding one from one of Emerils southern guests. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32798,00.html It's very similiar to how I make mine but I use self-rising flour and omit the salt and baking powder. I also use buttermilk instead of milk and only shortening, no butter. I think it takes buttermilk to make a good tasting fluffy southern biscuit. I've never used sugar execpt in angel biscuits which I don't make often. Good luck and don't give up trying.

wills53 said:
Although my mom was a wonderful southern cook and I learned so much from her I never did learn how to make her light, fluffy, tall and perfect biscuits. I need your best recipe for them. I'm 55 years old and still haven't mastered the perfect southern biscuit. Help!

Oh now I don't feel so bad I am 68 yeas old and still can not make a decent biscuit.

:) Southerncooker I just realized something. The reason you cant use your hands is you might have really warm or hot hands I learned that in a cake decorating class if you have hot hands the icing gets too soft to pipe so maybe thats my problem and yours our hand are to warm and melt the fat in the biscuit dough.Other people have cool hands so when they mix the dough it doesnt heat it up.I already know I have hot hands.Sounds crazy but its true.If you make them again try soaking your hands in ice water,dry them and proceed, if you do try this let me know how it comes out.

That's a good point about the hands... I have warm hands so always make sure to make pie crusts, etc... in a mixer instead of using my hands. I haven't had any problem with icings, however. That Paula recipe looks fabulous... so easy and with really good reviews!

-Tim

This is an old family recipe from Virginia.
Sift together:
2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
Cut in 1/2 C cold butter to a meal
Add 2/3 C milk
Mix just until all is damp. Pat out on a floured board to 1/2" thickness, cut into rounds or squares. Put on sheet just touching and Bake 16 min at 450°. Nice and flaky.

If using for strawberry shortcake add 2 Tbs sugar.

Thank you for the biscuit recipe, Swann. I am brand new to the site and learned something I have wanted to know for a long time, already. This is going to be so much FUN.........................Trying this one out real soon.

Creole Lady (Carolyn)

Back
Top Bottom