"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 09-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Biscuits

someone recently told me about a biscuit recipe that is simply one part self-rising flour and one part heavy cream. they are really good but are a little too delicate in that they crumble when you try to slice them.

any suggetions on how to sturdy them up?

Old 09-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
add more flour or some type of startch or salt or maybe baking powder? i would just experiment w/e works best

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

What are your proportios? I use 2 cups self-rising flour to 1 cup of whipping cream, and 2 tsp. sugar.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

add 1/4 cup of white glue...................ok ......I heard of a recipe like that too. Let me know if you can Get It Together. My biscuits are either very dense or too loose. I need help with these. Ok....I can make drop biscuits from a mix that come out great but thats it. Ughhhh :!: I am going to try somethin different this week...I will let you know how it comes out.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef

:D I cant make a decent biscuit to save my life I can bake and cook some really complicated stuff but when it comes to biscuits or scones Im a complete idiot.I have some kinda mental block with these.Ive been making these biscuits from a mix by Betty Crocker and they are not that bad, you just add water.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Executive Chef

:D Bangbang - You have to be very light and gentle when making biscuits - you can't beat them to death!

A tip for adding the butter into the flour mix - try shredding the very cold butter on a coarse grater right into the bowl, then just mixing it lightly with a fork; then add your liquid and just mix lightly til it comes together. Biscuit dough should be soft.

Then on a floured board, roll or pat the dough into the thickness you want, and cut out. Another tip that saves a lot of 'rerolling' to use x-tra dough from circles - pat the dough into a rectangle, use a floured sharp knife or board scraper to cut squares or rectangles, instead of circles. No wasted dough!

And a last bit from my oh, so dear gramma-in-law from NC - after your biscuits are on the pan, dip your first two knuckles into some buttermilk or plain milk, and just 'top' the biscuits with your knuckles; she always said she was adding a little bit of love to the biscuits!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Senior Cook

just back into town from the hunting lodge gig. i added a little more flour and needed the biscuit...they are great. very light.

1.25 to 1 heavy cream to self-risiing flour. knead it a little bit. roll it out...and you're there.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
:D Bangbang - You have to be very light and gentle when making biscuits - you can't beat them to death!

A tip for adding the butter into the flour mix - try shredding the very cold butter on a coarse grater right into the bowl, then just mixing it lightly with a fork; then add your liquid and just mix lightly til it comes together. Biscuit dough should be soft.

Then on a floured board, roll or pat the dough into the thickness you want, and cut out. Another tip that saves a lot of 'rerolling' to use x-tra dough from circles - pat the dough into a rectangle, use a floured sharp knife or board scraper to cut squares or rectangles, instead of circles. No wasted dough!

And a last bit from my oh, so dear gramma-in-law from NC - after your biscuits are on the pan, dip your first two knuckles into some buttermilk or plain milk, and just 'top' the biscuits with your knuckles; she always said she was adding a little bit of love to the biscuits!
Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of shredding the butter.