Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
someone recently told me about a biscuit recipe that is simply one part self-rising flour and one part heavy cream. they are really good but are a little too delicate in that they crumble when you try to slice them.

any suggetions on how to sturdy them up?

add more flour or some type of startch or salt or maybe baking powder? i would just experiment w/e works best

add 1/4 cup of white glue...................ok ......I heard of a recipe like that too. Let me know if you can Get It Together. :LOL: My biscuits are either very dense or too loose. I need help with these. Ok....I can make drop biscuits from a mix that come out great but thats it. Ughhhh :!: I am going to try somethin different this week...I will let you know how it comes out.

:D I cant make a decent biscuit to save my life I can bake and cook some really complicated stuff but when it comes to biscuits or scones Im a complete idiot.I have some kinda mental block with these.Ive been making these biscuits from a mix by Betty Crocker and they are not that bad, you just add water.

:D Bangbang - You have to be very light and gentle when making biscuits - you can't beat them to death!

A tip for adding the butter into the flour mix - try shredding the very cold butter on a coarse grater right into the bowl, then just mixing it lightly with a fork; then add your liquid and just mix lightly til it comes together. Biscuit dough should be soft.

Then on a floured board, roll or pat the dough into the thickness you want, and cut out. Another tip that saves a lot of 'rerolling' to use x-tra dough from circles - pat the dough into a rectangle, use a floured sharp knife or board scraper to cut squares or rectangles, instead of circles. No wasted dough!

And a last bit from my oh, so dear gramma-in-law from NC - after your biscuits are on the pan, dip your first two knuckles into some buttermilk or plain milk, and just 'top' the biscuits with your knuckles; she always said she was adding a little bit of love to the biscuits!

just back into town from the hunting lodge gig. i added a little more flour and needed the biscuit...they are great. very light.

1.25 to 1 heavy cream to self-risiing flour. knead it a little bit. roll it out...and you're there.

marmalady said:
:D Bangbang - You have to be very light and gentle when making biscuits - you can't beat them to death!

A tip for adding the butter into the flour mix - try shredding the very cold butter on a coarse grater right into the bowl, then just mixing it lightly with a fork; then add your liquid and just mix lightly til it comes together. Biscuit dough should be soft.

Then on a floured board, roll or pat the dough into the thickness you want, and cut out. Another tip that saves a lot of 'rerolling' to use x-tra dough from circles - pat the dough into a rectangle, use a floured sharp knife or board scraper to cut squares or rectangles, instead of circles. No wasted dough!

And a last bit from my oh, so dear gramma-in-law from NC - after your biscuits are on the pan, dip your first two knuckles into some buttermilk or plain milk, and just 'top' the biscuits with your knuckles; she always said she was adding a little bit of love to the biscuits!

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of shredding the butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom