"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 11-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Biscuits - Can I make the dough ahead of time?

Can I make the dough for buttermilk biscuits and stick it in the fridge overnight? I want to have them ready to just pop in the oven in the morning. Thanks all!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Cora,
I've made them ahead of time and just cover them with plastic wrap so they don't dry out and then baked in the morning..works just fine for me. Although they do take a little longer to bake when they are right out of the refrigerator.

kadesma

Old 11-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

yes. sifting a little extra flour on top before wrapping will keep the wrap from sticking after being in contact with the dough all night. i actually don't think that they even need to be refridgerated if you're preparing them the evening before. you'll get a better rise if they're at room temp when they go in the preheated oven.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Everymom

Corazon, why don't you just premix all the dry ingredients and leave that out on the counter and just add the buttermilk when you're ready to bake them?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

All the ideas are great. I've made them ahead and frozen. I used to make them way ahead for our family reunions. I'd bake them til they were risen, but not browned, cool then freeze on sheets. When they were frozen, place in freezer bags. After a few minutes out of the freezer they were ready to finish in the oven. I would brush the tops with cream or melted butter before going in the oven. You may not want to go to this trouble for a panful, but I had to do about 400 for our reunions and couldn't do any of it at the last minute.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Corazon, why don't you just premix all the dry ingredients and leave that out on the counter and just add the buttermilk when you're ready to bake them?
I'm sending them off with dh to make at the firestation tomorrow. Besides, it's all the patting and cutting that takes the most time.

Thanks to all!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

They'll work just fine that way, Corazon. If you set them out of the fridge about an hour before you bake them, it will let them warm up and get going a little.