Biscuits - Can I make the dough ahead of time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cora,
I've made them ahead of time and just cover them with plastic wrap so they don't dry out and then baked in the morning..works just fine for me. Although they do take a little longer to bake when they are right out of the refrigerator.

kadesma

yes. sifting a little extra flour on top before wrapping will keep the wrap from sticking after being in contact with the dough all night. i actually don't think that they even need to be refridgerated if you're preparing them the evening before. you'll get a better rise if they're at room temp when they go in the preheated oven.

Corazon, why don't you just premix all the dry ingredients and leave that out on the counter and just add the buttermilk when you're ready to bake them?

All the ideas are great. I've made them ahead and frozen. I used to make them way ahead for our family reunions. I'd bake them til they were risen, but not browned, cool then freeze on sheets. When they were frozen, place in freezer bags. After a few minutes out of the freezer they were ready to finish in the oven. I would brush the tops with cream or melted butter before going in the oven. You may not want to go to this trouble for a panful, but I had to do about 400 for our reunions and couldn't do any of it at the last minute.

Alix said:
Corazon, why don't you just premix all the dry ingredients and leave that out on the counter and just add the buttermilk when you're ready to bake them?
I'm sending them off with dh to make at the firestation tomorrow. Besides, it's all the patting and cutting that takes the most time.

Thanks to all!

They'll work just fine that way, Corazon. If you set them out of the fridge about an hour before you bake them, it will let them warm up and get going a little.

Back
Top Bottom