Black pepper biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
Hi does anybody have a recipe for Black pepper biscuits that you boil before you bake them? I had a recipe but lost it. Thanks!:)

Welcome to DC, my_psychosis!

I've never heard of that recipe but it sounds like a cross between a bagel and a biscuit. :LOL: I hope someone knows about this.

Here you go, my psych.

This recipe says that the biscuits should be very hard when done. What do you serve them with?

BLACK PEPPER BISCUITS
8 c. flour
3/4 tbsp. black pepper
1 c. Crisco
1/4 c. oil
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. fennel seeds (opt.)
3 c. water (warm)
1/2 cake yeast

Mix flour, salt, pepper, Crisco and oil until crumbly. Add fennel, warm water and yeast and knead well. Place in a bowl, cover and let rest for 1/2 hour. Roll out and form into desired shape (ex. bagel shape, oblong braids, etc.). Drop in boiling water 1 by 1. Remove when it comes to the top and place on a towel. Set boil biscuits on greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown. Biscuits should be very hard.

Lee

That sounds like hardtack. The early sailors used barrels of that to cross the Atlantic. It never went bad...:sick:

Thanks

Hey thanks. This is different from the one I had but I'm gonna sure try it! Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom