Bran Muffins with Blueberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markus-O

Assistant Cook
I was wondering if anyone would have a bran muffin recipe they would be willing to share.
Here in Germany we can't buy bakery made bran muffins or bran muffin mixes. There was a British lady a couple of villages over from us who made wonderful blueberry bran muffins. She actually baked for the many Canadian and American expats in our area. Pumpkin and apple pies, all kinds of muffins and the best blueberry scones I've ever tasted. Unfortunately she took ill a couple of months ago and moved back to England to live with her son.
I've googled recipes on the internet but some use baking powder, some use baking soda, some use both and some don't use either.
I can buy either oat bran or wheat bran, and the blueberries. I just need to know what else to buy to make the perfect blueberry bran muffin.

I have an Oat Bran Muffin Recipe that I have made for years. It calls for Rasins but you could easily substitute in the blueberries.

Oat Bran Muffins

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran cereal (hot type uncooked)
½ cup unbleached flour
1 Tbl baking powder
¼ tsp salt
4 Tbl Brown Sugar
½ cup raisins
2 egg whites
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup low fat milk
2 Tbl vegetable oil

pre heat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease tins.

Mix tog dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In another bowl, beat egg whites then add butter milk and oil. Mix well.

Add wet to dry and beat 30 sec till lumpy. DO NOT BEAT TILL SMOOTH.

Bake for 25 min

I Googled and found this recipoe - https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-very-best-blueberry-bran-muffins-186003. It uses sour milk, or buttermilk as the acid, and baking soda as the alkali. The two work together to leaven the muffins. From personal experience, I have found that fresh blueberries work better than frozen. Also, mix the batter only until everything is well combined. Over-mixing will make for tough and chewy muffins.

Good luck with your search. Oh, and just so you know, there once was a lady who called herself Audio. She gave us all the best banana bread recipe ever. If you want it, let us know.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom