Bread pudding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheProphecy

Assistant Cook
I always pre-heat my oven to 350f and set the pudding in for 45 mins. last time that happened it came out mushy inside. so i put it in for 1:15hr. and the top came out somewhat burnt, but the inside still mushy! what's up :\

Bread pudding should be moist, not dry, IMO. Has it turned out differently in the past?

bread pudding will have a baked custard consistency, I guess, mushy could be a correct term for the interior of the pudding. And the term "pudding" is relative here. The recipe I use calls for 2 cups milk, 2 cups stale/toasted bread and 2 eggs. Do you let the bread cubes soak before baking? And the size/shape of the baking dish can vary the cooking times. My recipes calls for baking between 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the dish.

Have you checked the temp of your oven with a separate thermometer? It may be hotter than you realize: my last brand new electric stove had two ovens, and both were 50F hotter than the setting. Also, I think 350F is a bit hot for custard dishes - I would use 325F, especially if you are using a glass pan.

Have you checked the temp of your oven with a separate thermometer? It may be hotter than you realize: my last brand new electric stove had two ovens, and both were 50F hotter than the setting. Also, I think 350F is a bit hot for custard dishes - I would use 325F, especially if you are using a glass pan.

Good point, Karen. When I use glass, because it is such a good heat conductor, I always reduce my oven temperature by 25 degrees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom