Bread to go with Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hey all, I want to make some bread this weekend...any good recipes or ideas that would go with gumbo?

I have to agree with Susan... can't beat warm crusty french bread! As a matter of fact, I shared a bowl of seafood gumbo with DH tonight with hot french bread! Oh YUM!

Okay, so maybe french bread...where's JoeV? I need a french bread recipe. I've only baked 6 loaves of bread in my whole life so I need something I can get right!

From what I can tell, (and I'm no expert) your basic white bread recipe is/can be french bread. But yes, Joe would be one of our resident bread bakers to consult!

My favorite French Bread recipe, which has always turned out great even in my inept baking hands, is the one from the little spiral-bound cookbook that came with my KitchenAid mixer.

You cannot make "French Bread" from a basic white bread recipe.

The only ingredients in French Bread are flour, water, yeast and salt. Most "white bread" recipes contain some kind of oil, and perhaps milk. Not for French bread. The secret to great French bread lies in the prep of your oven for the baking.

Sorry ChefJune - no "special oven prep" going on here, & yet I always end up with lovely golden baguettes, as crisp-crusted as you'd ever want, with an airy & light interior. No "misting with water", no "baking stones", no pans of water on the oven bottom. Just the basic French Bread recipe from the KitchenAid cookbook. No special techniques or magic necessary.

Go figure.

I should mention that I have no special tools or equipment. No KitchenAid or Bread Maker or anything like that!

So, I may need to know all the special oven preps!!!

Sorry ChefJune - no "special oven prep" going on here, & yet I always end up with lovely golden baguettes, as crisp-crusted as you'd ever want, with an airy & light interior. No "misting with water", no "baking stones", no pans of water on the oven bottom. Just the basic French Bread recipe from the KitchenAid cookbook. No special techniques or magic necessary.

Go figure.

Lucky You!

Back
Top Bottom