Building a better biscuit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
For years I've been making a standard biscuit recipe from the betty crocker book and every single time I've been disappointed. Last week I decided enough was enough - it was time to learn to make really good biscuits. I tried all sorts of recipes, some with sugar, self rising flour, shortening, etc.

After lots of recipe searching and about 20 batches I have one that works and tastes as good as it looks. Here's my final recipe and some tips.

2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
½ C salted butter, iced & cubed
1 C cold buttermilk (Good substitute: 1/4 C plain yogurt and 3/4 C milk, mixed, let stand for several minutes)
2 T buttermilk or cream (for tops)

Oven 425 | Baking sheet lined with parchment or sprinkled with corn meal

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
  2. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles small peas.
  3. Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in buttermilk; stir until just barely combined.
  4. Turn dough onto a floured surface, pat together into a rectangle. Don’t worry about errant crumbs and chunks. Dough will come together as you work.
  5. Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
  6. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
  7. Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
  8. Transfer biscuits to the baking sheet. Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb. (aides even rise)
  9. Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk or cream.
  10. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

Behold - biscuit glory!

biscuits.jpg

Flaky biscuit tips:

• Make sure your baking powder is fresh.
  • Chill flour if possible
  • Consider grating frozen butter into flour mix, alternatively slice it thinly and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes.
  • The folding step is the key to that layered flaky texture - don't skip but work quickly.
  • Cut biscuits straight down - do not twist cutter as it seal the sides and they don't rise as well. Use a real biscuit cutter or something with sharp edges - no glasses. A soup can with lip cut off works well.
  • Avoid over handling dough. The key to awesome biscuits is COLD ingredients and minimally handled dough.

Buttermilk substitute (not as good but in a pinch...): 2 T lemon juice or cider vinegar and milk to make 1 C total

Freeze em: Uncooked biscuits can be frozen and cooked frozen in a 450 oven. 8 minutes @ 450 and then another 7 or 8 mins with the oven turned off (do not open door).

Last edited:
Janet, those look so good. All those flaky layers. Yum. Bet they taste great too.

I have several recipes I use, but no particular favorite. Certainly will try your recipe.

One of the things I found is I switched to an aluminum sulfate free baking powder. Rumford brand is one.

Some people pick up on the flavor and personally, I don't care to ingest trace elements of aluminum.

I sometimes just cut biscuits in squares rather than take the time to cut with a biscuit cutter. But you know, round ones look and I think, taste batter.

Oh my goodness, those look so good, Janet. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I need to buy a biscuit cutter (yes, I don't have one :rolleyes:), and give those a try! :yum:

1. Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

Those look fantastic!

This is interesting. I've never seen a biscuit recipe that involved folding the dough. Are these intended to be different from the traditional biscuit from the South or is this just another way to get a great product?

Those look fantastic!

This is interesting. I've never seen a biscuit recipe that involved folding the dough. Are these intended to be different from the traditional biscuit from the South or is this just another way to get a great product?

I've never seen a biscuit recipe call for this but I used to live in North Carolina and the best biscuits I ever had were at a tiny mom and pop place. 'Mom' would make biscuits on a giant board that she put on one of the few tables in the front room of the old house that served as their restaurant. She used to do this folding thing. Her slab of dough was a raggy, crumbly mess, but it would come together nicely and tasted so good... made sense to me, sort of like puff pastry.

I've never seen a biscuit recipe call for this but I used to live in North Carolina and the best biscuits I ever had were at a tiny mom and pop place. 'Mom' would make biscuits on a giant board that she put on one of the few tables in the front room of the old house that served as their restaurant. She used to do this folding thing. Her slab of dough was a raggy, crumbly mess, but it would come together nicely and tasted so good... made sense to me, sort of like puff pastry.

Thanks, Janet.

You need White Lily flour...

Hard to find in my part of the world and the measurements would change a bit. White lily weighs less and behaves differently. It has a low protein content and is "fluffier" by volume. I actually tried a batch with cake flour which has similar properties but ultimately I wanted to be able to use stuff I usually have on hand. Cake flour and White Lily aren't staples at my house.

That said - If you want to bake me some with White Lily in a DC biscuit smack down, game on. I like cherry jam or apple butter on mine please... :D

funny story . . . so many people recommend / use / love White Lily I made a special trip to get some. the company itself does not distribute everywhere - but WalMart usually has it.

so I made some biscuits - per the bag.
came out nice - they were so-so by me, DW did not care for them.

odd things do happen!

I have known people that would tell you if you didn't use White Lily that you didn't make biscuits, you made cake.

:)

Hats off to you. I never bother any longer as these fit the bill.
Occasionally I have had people ask me for the recipe as they could not get similar results on their own.
So I just show em this bag in my freezer.

Attachments

• Biscuits.jpeg
    Biscuits.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 133
Janet, this sounds like it makes some really delicious biscuits! :yum: I certainly plan on trying this when it gets to be more like baking season (cold weather as opposed to, say, 80s and 90!) AND I get a biscuit cutter. Have you ever tried cutting them with a floured glass? I have lots of glasses. All I know is almost every recipe I've read, it says cut straight down and do NOT twist your cutter. That sounds like work better suited to a cutter.

...I need to buy a biscuit cutter (yes, I don't have one :rolleyes:)...
Me neither, Cheryl. Figured I never needed "one more kitchen trinket". Now I've decided I do!

...I've never seen a biscuit recipe that involved folding the dough....
Last winter I tried making to-die-for biscuits from a couple different recipes. I never did get to this one, but it included a cut/stack/press/repeat method similar to what Janet's does. Never did try that one, so I'll try Janet's first.

The biscuit cutter improves the texture and rise but you can easily make one if you have a can opener that cuts off the can lip. The problem with a drinking glass is that the rim is thickish and smashes the pastry together. You want a thin sharpish edge.

To make a biscuit cutter: Wash out a can (soup can for example) and cut off the lid and rim on one end. Then poke a hole in the other end (a church key works well). This improves release of cut dough.

Janet, when I read your recipe, I too though it sounded like a hybrid between puff pastry and biscuit dough. But those pictures tell the story. From the ingredients, I know what it's going to taste like. From the pictures, I'd say you made the perfect biscuits. You've outdone yourself. Nice job, and thanks for sharing. I will be trying these. I've cut and pasted the recipe. Of course, once I've been able to make biscuits as good as yours, I will have to experiment, maybe add some smashed spuds into the dough, like what is done with spudnuts. But maybe not. Your biscuits do look like the epitome of what a biscuit is supposed to be.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Hats off to you. I never bother any longer as these fit the bill.
Occasionally I have had people ask me for the recipe as they could not get similar results on their own.
So I just show em this bag in my freezer.

I have been using the refrigerated cans of their biscuits and have noticed a very off putting taste. Are the frozen ones "heat and serve"?

Janet, those biscuits look fantastic! Time for some biscuits and sausage gravy!:yum:

I have been using the refrigerated cans of their biscuits and have noticed a very off putting taste. Are the frozen ones "heat and serve"?

No, Craig. These are the frozen un-baked type. Rounds of frozen dough that you bake from frozen. No thawing and biscuits are ready in less than 30 minutes from start. I do not like canned biscuits nearly as well..
But, I will make you a bet.
Buy a bag of frozen Pillsbury biscuits, any type you like and I bet they come out better than the ones you make yourself.
They rise better and look 100% better than homemade. They taste pretty good too!

Back
Top Bottom