Buttermilk biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaohooh

Assistant Cook
Looking for a recipe for very light buttermilk biscuits. Mine are pretty good but not as good as they could be. Help. Donna

Here's the one I've used for years and it makes very light biscuits.

Combine:
2-1/2 cups AP flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt 2 tablespoons butter and stir into 1-1/4 cups of buttermilk. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and combine well. The dough is going to be very dry.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough. If it is too dry to hold together after a minute of kneading, add more buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time and knead in to incorporate.

Roll or pat the dough into a shape that is about half an inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter.

Place the biscuits into a 9-inch round nonstick pan that has been buttered (sides will be touching). Butter the tops of the biscuits with melted butter.

Bake in a preheated 425-degree (F) oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

These are hubby's grandma's NC biscuits - the dipping your knuckle in the buttermilk and dabbing it on top is her adding a little bit of love to the biscuits!

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

½ cup cold butter
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups self-rising flour
3/4 to 1 cup cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425; grease a baking sheet or use a sheet of parchment paper.
Cut in butter and flour coarsely. Add milk, stir to just incorporate. Turn out on floured board, knead 3-4 times. Pat dough out to a rectangle 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits, place on baking sheet. Dip your knuckles into a small dish of buttermilk, and lightly indent the biscuits. Bake 13-15 minutes, til light brown.
To make drop biscuits, increase milk to 1 to 1 ¼ cups flour and drop biscuits on baking sheet.

PS - I added the baking powder to the recipe - I like a little more 'rise' than the regular recipe gives.

A variation on a standard biscuit. They're very light and fluffy. They quickly became one of my favorites, especially for sloppy joes!

CHEDDAR BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (preferably stone-ground; not coarse)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 oz extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups well-shaken buttermilk

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Butter 1 large baking sheet.

Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheeses and scallions with a wooden spoon, then add buttermilk and stir until just combined.

Drop dough in 8 equal mounds about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool to warm, about 10 minutes, then cut in half horizontally.

Cooks' notes:
• You can use 2 small baking sheets instead of 1 large. Bake biscuits in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking.
• Biscuits can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven 10 minutes.

Makes 8 biscuits.
Gourmet
September 2004

These are some sinfully good ones:

Cheddar Cheese Bisquits

6 T salted butter
4-oz cheddar cheese
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 c heavy cream
1 - 2 T milk

Preheat oven to 425F

Melt butter over low heat and set aside

Grate enough cheese to measure about 1 cup

Combine cheese, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in cream with a fork, mixing until just moistened. Add 1 - 2 T milk to dough if too crumbly.

On lightly floured surface knead dough 8-10 times. Press into 1/2-inch thickness with fingers. Cut into 1 1/2-inch circles.

With tongs, dip bisquits into the melted butter to coat and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes till golden. Cool on wire rack.

(You can skip the dip 'em in butter step and they still taste fine, just grease the baking sheet before you bake them.)

;)

I can't wait to try these Zereh. My husband doesn't care much for biscuits, but I have a feeling he is going to love these!

:) Barbara

Best.Buttermilk.Biscuits.EVER (in my opinion) :)

Dough

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups buttermilk cold, preferably low-fat

To Form and Finish Biscuits

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces), distributed in rimmed baking sheet
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted

An unusual recipe yields the fluffiest-ever biscuits, with a mile-high rise, a tender crumb, and a crisp top.

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Spray 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Generously spray inside and outside of 1/4 cup dry measure with nonstick cooking spray.

2. For the dough: In food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda to combine, about six 1-second pulses. Scatter butter cubes evenly over dry ingredients; pulse until mixture resembles pebbly, coarse cornmeal, eight to ten 1-second pulses. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Add buttermilk to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated (dough will be very wet and slightly lumpy).

3. To form and bake biscuits: Using 1/4 cup dry measure and working quickly, scoop level amount of dough; drop dough from measuring cup into flour on baking sheet (if dough sticks to cup, use small spoon to pull it free). Repeat with remaining dough, forming 12 evenly sized mounds. Dust tops of each piece of dough with flour from baking sheet. With floured hands, gently pick up piece of dough and coat with flour; gently shape dough into rough ball, shake off excess flour, and place in prepared cake pan. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging 9 rounds around perimeter of cake pan and 3 in center. Brush rounds with hot melted butter, taking care not to flatten them. Bake 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees; continue to bake until biscuits are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. Cool in pan 2 minutes, then invert biscuits from pan onto clean kitchen towel; turn biscuits right-side up and break apart. Cool 5 minutes longer and serve.

Buttermilk Biscuits

My aunt Clistina made the best buttermilk biscuits I ever ate. She used Hudson cream self rising flour,water,poudered buttermilk and melted lard.
She mixed everything in a mixing bowl and then put it in her flour bowl. After dusting her dough with flour she pulled and patted her biscuits out by hand. They would rise tall and were very light. I have watched her but mine dont rise like hers and they are very heavy.

What am I doing wrong? (please help) :(

Donnie, I can think of a couple things that might cause the problems you're having. Check the expiration date on your self-rising flour. It may be expired/old. Also be sure not to work the dough any more than you have to. The less you "man-handle" it, the more tender your product.

If you could post the measurements of your ingredients, that might help us to come up with some more possibilities.

buttermilk biscuits

PA Baker: You may be right, I dont think she worked her dough very much at all. I will try that.

Thank You. 8)

PA Baker said:
be sure not to work the dough any more than you have to. The less you "man-handle" it, the more tender your product.

If you could post the measurements of your ingredients, that might help us to come up with some more possibilities.

I bet you are right PA Baker! A light and tender touch will do it!

PA Baker: The ingredients is 2 cups flour,2 1/2 Tbsp powdered buttermilk (cultured buttermilk blend) 2/3 cup water and 1/4 cup melted lard. Keep in mind she past away several years ago,so i could be wrong on some of these.

Donnie said:
PA Baker: The ingredients is 2 cups flour,2 1/2 Tbsp powdered buttermilk (cultured buttermilk blend) 2/3 cup water and 1/4 cup melted lard. Keep in mind she past away several years ago,so i could be wrong on some of these.

You're sure you used self rising flour?

I'm going to stick with check the flour to make sure it's self-rising and not old, and try not to handle it much. Chocolate, do you have any other ideas?

Buttermilk Biscuits

PA: Iam sure it was self rising flour. She might have sifted hers and I dont, would that make a difference.

Yeah, it could Donnie. Sifting would aerate the flour, again, helping to make it lighter. Measuring before and after sifting can produce very different quantities of flour. Once you sift there's more volume, so if you measure after you sift you're using less flour than if you measure before you sift or not sift at all.

You may just have to experiement and play around a little to see what ends up working best.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Sifting should not make too much difference - yes there could be a slight volume difference.

I don't like to melt my butter or shortening. I like to have it as cold as possible and cut it into the flour.

I think it helps with the tenderness and the rising of the biscuits -- like how butter works in making a puff pastry for example.

buttermilk Biscuits

I am eating one right now and it's not bad with a lot of butter and jelly on it. :LOL:

Their still too heavy but ill keep working on it.

Thanks everyone,
Donnie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom