Calling all Brits (And anyone else too)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just made my first batch ever of English muffins. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the person who created this delectable bread. I used the following recipe (written by me after looking at, and blending various ingredient lists from a bunch of recipes I looked at):

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1 tbs. honey
1 package (.25 oz) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110F)
1/8 cup melted butter
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Place the yeast into a glass container of warm water. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
While the yeast activates, heat the milk and add the honey and butter. Stir until the all is well blended.

When the milk has cooled to warm (110F) add the yeast to it and stir until mixed. Pour the yeast/milk mixture into the flour and stir to form a dough. Knead the dough for five minutes and turn onto a well-floured working surface. Roll to 1/2 inch thick. Use a large tuna, or chicken can with the top and bottom cut out to cut rounds. Place the rounds on a wax paper lined cookie sheet that has been dusted with corn meal. Let the dough rise until doubled. Re-form the remaining dough and roll out again. Cut into more rounds. Sprinkle all rounds with corn meal and let rise until doubled.

Heat large griddle, or Cast Iron skillet over medium-low heat. Place the rounds onto the hot griddle or skillet and cook until medium browned (about a minute). Flip and repeat. Remove to a cooling rack.

I'm going to serve them up with fried chicken tonight, and steamed carrots. I think there will be some chicken gravy, and blueberry preserves to go with the English Muffins. Can you say, yum?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Made some too about a month ago! I froze the leftovers and toasted them up here and there and put homemade apple pie jam on them. Used the last of them for breakfast sandwiches.

I used to make them all the time. I used all whole wheat. You know to use two forks back to back to open them, don't you?

Please tell us how Thomas makes their English muffins easy to separate with a fork.

The recipe looks good! I'm aching to try it!

Please tell us how Thomas makes their English muffins easy to separate with a fork.

I don't think Thomas, whoever that is, does anything special. It's just how you open up English muffins.

They are perforated, in a sense. Not quite sliced through, just poked enough to loosen it up.

English Muffins are not English, any more than Buffalo wings come from bisons or water buffalo. They were invented by a Yank, and they are called English muffins because when they are split open they resemble a crumpet, which is most definitely English.

If you look around the edge of a commercially made muffin such as Thomas', You'll see perforations around the muffin on the edge. A mechanical device 'stabs' the muffin all around to partially slice it in half. Then you can separate the halves more easily. They call it fork split.

I learned to make English muffins when I wanted to make bread and didn't have an oven. English muffins are much more versatile than bannock.

English Muffins are not English, any more than Buffalo wings come from bisons or water buffalo. They were invented by a Yank, and they are called English muffins because when they are split open they resemble a crumpet, which is most definitely English.
Don't be silly! Buffalo wings were invented in Buffalo NY. ;)

If you look around the edge of a commercially made muffin such as Thomas', You'll see perforations around the muffin on the edge. A mechanical device 'stabs' the muffin all around to partially slice it in half. Then you can separate the halves more easily. They call it fork split.
Well I need to get me one of them stabbers! ;) Maybe Lizzie Borden... :devilish:

Don't be silly! Buffalo wings were invented in Buffalo NY. ;)

Well I need to get me one of them stabbers! ;) Maybe Lizzie Borden... :devilish:

You don't need a stabber. You just need two forks. Or, you could perforate all the way around with one fork and then work it open with one fork or two.

Havent heard of them served up with gravy, but am sure would be delicious! We tend to have them for breakfast, with just butter, jam or egg and bacon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom