Canned biscuit idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
So we're dieting but I'm feeling cranky this morning and wanted a treat. I melted a 1/2 stick of butter and about a cup of brown sugar together, threw in a handful of walnuts and a tube of refrigerator biscuits I had quartered. I mixed it all together and dumped into a loaf pan and baked at 400 for about 25 minutes.

It's delicious but I was envisioning little balls or nuggets of bread but they stayed kind of flat.

Thoughts?

My only thought is you did not shape the quartered biscuits into balls before baking.
I recently saw some "donut holes" that someone made using quartered biscuits and they said they rolled the pieces into balls, but come to think of it, they also deep fried them, making sure to hold them under.

This sounds a bit like Monkey Bread.

The only real difference is that monkey bread is made from bread dough and this is biscuit dough so it won't rise as much. I don't think the shape should matter. Maybe is your sugar mixture was too hot it might have caused them not to puff up but that is just a guess (I am a cake baker for a reason....I am lousy at bread ;))

Mom used to take the fridge biscuits (we're talking the ones you smack on the counter to open, that come in the dairy case). We'd tear holes in them, and she'd fry them. Then we'd do various things with them, to our taste and pile them up. That is to say, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon sugar, a bit of chocolate syrup, etc. Eat while still very hot!

So we're dieting but I'm feeling cranky this morning and wanted a treat. I melted a 1/2 stick of butter and about a cup of brown sugar together, threw in a handful of walnuts and a tube of refrigerator biscuits I had quartered. I mixed it all together and dumped into a loaf pan and baked at 400 for about 25 minutes.

It's delicious but I was envisioning little balls or nuggets of bread but they stayed kind of flat.

Thoughts?

Try putting the butter mixture into a cake pan, set the quartered biscuit pieces on top. Bake until biscuits are done and scoop some of both into a bowl and mix them together as you eat.:chef:

Or, bake the biscuits as usual and drizzle the mixture over the split hot biscuits.

Last edited:
Thank you all! I actually bought the tube to make doughnuts with but that didn't sound good this morning. I will try shaping them next time a little. The shape surely did NOT affect the taste, the plate was empty rather quickly :rolleyes:.

I make monkey bread with whomp biscuits. I cut them in quarters, roll them in cinnamon sugar, put them in a well buttered pan and drizzle some melted butter over the tops. My kids loved that. You can do it in a bundt pan or a loaf pan.

Okay, am I the only person who was too dense to figure out what whomp biscuits were? I had to look it up. Thank Gooness for Google!

I'm trying to find the thread about the Biscuit Dressing. It gave me a good idea for a recipe I'd like to post. I may as well post it here, but I'd like to find the original post so I can give credit and thanks.

Sausage Biscuits Dressing
My Take

Brown:

1/3# Ground Sausage
Handful frozen diced Celery
1 chopped Onion
8 smashed garlic cloves lightly chopped*

Make Impossible Pie mixture:

¾ C Bisquick
1 C Milk

Drain sausage mixture and add to the Impossible Pie mixture.

Adjust IP batter for quantity and thickness.

Pour into sprayed casserole and bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until a knife in the middle comes out clean.

Serve with White Gravy and butter.

*I plan to toast the garlic lightly in the bacon fat until it's soft like in the Garlic Soup recipe. I'll take it out when it's done and put it back in later.

I have to wait until Thursday's shopping as I'm out of Gr. Sausage, but I do have some bacon, onion, celery and garlic so I'll make it that way for dinner tonight.

Last edited:
Just to keep the thought going, with leftover meat, make your favorite stew-type meal. Cook it through, thicken it, then pour into a baking dish. Take the biscuits, arrange on top, then bake until the biscuits are done. A great, almost-home-made, pot pie.

I like the whomp biscuits. I had an English friend once who called them something and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Back
Top Bottom