"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

Canned biscuit idea

So we're dieting but I'm feeling cranky this morning and wanted a treat. I melted a 1/2 stick of butter and about a cup of brown sugar together, threw in a handful of walnuts and a tube of refrigerator biscuits I had quartered. I mixed it all together and dumped into a loaf pan and baked at 400 for about 25 minutes.

It's delicious but I was envisioning little balls or nuggets of bread but they stayed kind of flat.

Thoughts?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My only thought is you did not shape the quartered biscuits into balls before baking.
I recently saw some "donut holes" that someone made using quartered biscuits and they said they rolled the pieces into balls, but come to think of it, they also deep fried them, making sure to hold them under.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

This sounds a bit like Monkey Bread.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
This sounds a bit like Monkey Bread.
The only real difference is that monkey bread is made from bread dough and this is biscuit dough so it won't rise as much. I don't think the shape should matter. Maybe is your sugar mixture was too hot it might have caused them not to puff up but that is just a guess (I am a cake baker for a reason....I am lousy at bread )

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Mom used to take the fridge biscuits (we're talking the ones you smack on the counter to open, that come in the dairy case). We'd tear holes in them, and she'd fry them. Then we'd do various things with them, to our taste and pile them up. That is to say, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon sugar, a bit of chocolate syrup, etc. Eat while still very hot!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
So we're dieting but I'm feeling cranky this morning and wanted a treat. I melted a 1/2 stick of butter and about a cup of brown sugar together, threw in a handful of walnuts and a tube of refrigerator biscuits I had quartered. I mixed it all together and dumped into a loaf pan and baked at 400 for about 25 minutes.

It's delicious but I was envisioning little balls or nuggets of bread but they stayed kind of flat.

Thoughts?
Try putting the butter mixture into a cake pan, set the quartered biscuit pieces on top. Bake until biscuits are done and scoop some of both into a bowl and mix them together as you eat.

Or, bake the biscuits as usual and drizzle the mixture over the split hot biscuits.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thank you all! I actually bought the tube to make doughnuts with but that didn't sound good this morning. I will try shaping them next time a little. The shape surely did NOT affect the taste, the plate was empty rather quickly .
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Head Chef

I make monkey bread with whomp biscuits. I cut them in quarters, roll them in cinnamon sugar, put them in a well buttered pan and drizzle some melted butter over the tops. My kids loved that. You can do it in a bundt pan or a loaf pan.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Okay, am I the only person who was too dense to figure out what whomp biscuits were? I had to look it up. Thank Gooness for Google!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Okay, am I the only person who was too dense to figure out what whomp biscuits were? I had to look it up. Thank Gooness for Google!
Well?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote