"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Head Chef

Cast Iron Cornbread

A guy at church yesterday mentioned that he liked to pre-heat his CI skillet in the oven, then pour the batter into the skillet and put it back in the oven. What purpose would this serve? And would I need to treat the pan with butter or some kind of oil to do this and not have the CB stick?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The purpose is to form a good crust on the corn bread and get the bread cooking more quickly. I use this method even when I make it in a non stick pan. Since our children are no longer home, I make my cornbread in a square non stick pan. We love the corners. But I enjoy the ci corn bread too - the pan is just too big for the two of us.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

My recipe calls for a hot CI skillet as well. It promotes even cooking. Apologies to Uncle Bob, I make Northern style "corn cake" but we call it corn bread.

I've followed that same process with an All-Clad skillet but the bread cooks a little differently.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
The purpose is to form a good crust on the corn bread and get the bread cooking more quickly. I use this method even when I make it in a non stick pan. Since our children are no longer home, I make my cornbread in a square non stick pan. We love the corners. But I enjoy the ci corn bread too - the pan is just too big for the two of us.
Well this would be for the church chili cookoff, so the more the better! I would probably serve it right out of the pan.

So I don't need to put any extra butter or grease in the pan?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Head Chef

Here is the recipe I used last time, and it made great cornbread. We like it a little sweet in my house. When it cooled it was a little too sweet for me. This recipe is for a 8" square pan. I wonder if I doubled it if that would be too much for a 10.25" skillet.

Grandmother's Buttermilk Cornbread - All Recipes

Feel free to post your 10" skillet recipes!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I would spread butter on the CI skillet before preheating it.
Here's the recipe I use:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...tml#post120028
Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
A guy at church yesterday mentioned that he liked to pre-heat his CI skillet in the oven, then pour the batter into the skillet and put it back in the oven. What purpose would this serve? And would I need to treat the pan with butter or some kind of oil to do this and not have the CB stick?
As Miss Licia stated pre-heating the skillet helps to form a nice yummy crust on the bottom and sides of the bread....I heat my skillet on a burner rather than in the oven until the Corn Oil is smoking hot. Most of the hot Corn Oil is poured into the batter and quickly stirred in...the batter is then poured into the skillet where you can see and hear it "fry"...Let it continue to set on the burner long enough to walk to the sink and rinse out your bowl...then put it in the oven to bake. As a personal taste preference, I do not include sugar in cornbread, nor do I include Wheat Flour in Corn Bread. I do however use a small amount (2-3 Tbls). of Corn flour...

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I would spread butter on the CI skillet before preheating it.
Here's the recipe I use:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...tml#post120028
That is the recipe I used last night, and it was great! For chili though I might back off the sugar a bit.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My recipe calls for a hot CI skillet as well. It promotes even cooking. Apologies to Uncle Bob, I make Northern style "corn cake" but we call it corn bread.

I've followed that same process with an All-Clad skillet but the bread cooks a little differently.
I live in the South and my family prefers the "corn cake" type corn bread as well and I still cook it in a cast iron skillet. I don't really think it has that much to do with were you live as it does your own personal taste. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla...not everyone likes the same thing.

This is the recipe that I use.

Golden Corn Bread

1-2/3 cup flour
2/3-cup cornmeal
1/4-cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2-teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4-cup oil
1-cup milk

Put a cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat the oven and the skillet to 400.

Mix the dry ingredients together; make a well in the middle. Add oil, eggs, and milk in the well and mix with a wire whisk. Add more milk if needed to make a medium batter.

Take the hot skillet out of the oven and place it on the stove over high heat. Put just enough oil in the skillet to swish it around good and heat the oil. Pour the batter into the hot pan and place it in the oven and bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown and set in the center.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Head Chef

Well, apparently one of the guys at church will make a big batch of CB in a large hotel pan. So I'm off the hook this time.