Cheesy Spoon Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
If you want cornbread, but, want it a bit spiffed up, this fits the bill. I often make a pot of green bean in the summer, or pintos in the winter and serve with this...it's the perfect meal!

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1 Ingredients:

1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from canned green chilies, if using whole ones, and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Tabasco or cayenne for a bite. My new favorite hot sauce is Cholula - it has a round wooden cap - if you can find it try it - heat with flavor.

I've often wanted to try this with some Mexican chorizo and cooked broccoli thrown in. I'm pretty sure it would qualify as a whole meal :ermm:

MY NOTES: You can double the recipe and use a 13 x 9 baking dish. Just test the center.

If you decide to do it with Mexican chorizo, skip the part about adding spice. You won't need it.

Can someone please explain to me what "Spoon Bread" is? The recipe sounds like corn bread to me. Is there a difference?

Back
Top Bottom