"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Oh yum Expat! What time you serving tomorrow? I'll be there!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #22
Master Chef

Tomorrow at 7 pm--bring your fork and knife!! Ha!!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by debthecook
Collard Greens and Smoked Turkey. Boil the greens with the turkey and lots of black pepper.
I was going to say Collard greens, but I much prefer smoked ham hocks in mine, if I'm going to put meat in them.

Cornbread also goes (automatically for me) with black eyed peas. Never even thought of cornbread with chili! That's not a pairing in Chicago, where I come from.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:06 AM   #24
Executive Chef

We always have cornbread with chili. I had made some corn cornbread earlier and had some left, so last night I heated it up and had it with my dinner salad instead of crackers. It was very good. I don't think I should make anymore for a while, though. We also have cornbread with vegetable soup too. NOTE: No sugar in my cornbread!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #25
Sous Chef

"(where the batter is poured into a hot, greased, sizzling iron skillet so that it bakes crispy on the outside)"

Surely there is no other way to cook cornbread, is there?????
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #26
Master Chef

Dear cjs,

I have a lot of friends who like it baked like a cake (I'm sure there are better descriptions) and I like it that way, too, but give me the sizzling iron skillet any day!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #27
Master Chef

Cornbread in the South is like the "dinner roll" in the North. Cornbread is served with everything down here!

Split, buttered, and topped with black-eyed peas with ham, red beans with salt pork, split-peas with smoked ham hocks ... used to sop up the liquor from a mess o' greens .... crumbled up and moistened with a little buttermilk for breakfast, or covered with thick milk cream sausage gravy.

Sugar or no sugar is NOT a matter of Southern vs Yankeefied IMHO .... my grandmothers were from Mississippi and Georgia, one had roots in Scotland and the other from Germany ... and they both made cornbread both with and without sugar - depending on what they were pairing it with ... to the best of my recollections as a child.

Yeah, expatgirl ... toss the skillet in the oven with some bacon grease to "pre heat" - pour in the cornbread ... and wait for the magic to happen!!! I know I keep seeing these corn muffin/sticks/dodgers whatever molds ... but I've never known cornbread worth it's salt that wasn't cooked in a skillet.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Cornbread in the South is like the "dinner roll" in the North. Cornbread is served with everything down here!

Split, buttered, and topped with black-eyed peas with ham, red beans with salt pork, split-peas with smoked ham hocks ... used to sop up the liquor from a mess o' greens .... crumbled up and moistened with a little buttermilk for breakfast, or covered with thick milk cream sausage gravy.

Sugar or no sugar is NOT a matter of Southern vs Yankeefied IMHO .... my grandmothers were from Mississippi and Georgia, one had roots in Scotland and the other from Germany ... and they both made cornbread both with and without sugar - depending on what they were pairing it with ... to the best of my recollections as a child.

Yeah, expatgirl ... toss the skillet in the oven with some bacon grease to "pre heat" - pour in the cornbread ... and wait for the magic to happen!!! I know I keep seeing these corn muffin/sticks/dodgers whatever molds ... but I've never known cornbread worth it's salt that wasn't cooked in a skillet.
I've never had any luck with those molds, either-----but as you say the skillet works the best for me too----------Yum!!!!