Cornbread, Right or Wrong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
What do I know? I follow the recipe on the Alber's Yellow Corn Meal package and bake my cornbread in muffin tins.

Wow, for me it depends on my mood and what I want to present. I have a recipe that even uses Masa Harina for a different taste and texture. Skillet cornbread is good when you're having chili, IMO, it's sort of the roughness of the two combined. Muffins are good if you want something portable. Square pans work well, too. I don't think there's any ONE perfect proper infallible method, it's all about preference.

I figure if the package gives 6 different ways to do it, there's no one right way above all others.

Ooops ~ Sorry GB, I just now got what [/thread] meant. Sorry, it went right over my head when I saw that.

One of our members has a very good southern cooking website, Mama's Southern Cooking, and my skillet cornbread recipe is posted there: Skillet Cornbread .

It's a bit different from the cornbread you're probably familiar with and is my favorite way to make it. Give it a try and tell me what you think. Also, check out the rest of Mama's website. She's got a lot of great recipes and information.

Cornbread is a very individualized taste, especially when it comes to adding sugar or not. Here's the recipe I have been using. Nothing fancy - no creamed corn, no chiles. And as Katie E. pointed out the last time I posted this, it would be better if baked in a CI skillet:

BEST CORNBREAD I EVER MADE
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the egg, sour cream, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 375degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with honey butter.

I have been using this recipe since 2005 and it's just what I like.

It's a sweet cornbread but you can cut the sugar to suit your preference.

BTW, the recipe calls for a cast iron skillet but it comes out great in my All-Clad 10" stainless steel skillet.

There are other recipes in that same thread.

I like it when there are actual pieces of corn in my cornbread, its a nice surprise. So even when I'm doing a box recipe I'll just throw in some frozen corn.

I like cornbread, either sweet or savory. I also have tried a recipe, using jalapenos and cheddar or montery jack cheeses. I think it's a matter of taste or mood. There is NOTHING wrong with making them as muffins. I have done that before too! :chef:

using jalapenos and cheddar

I tried that variation a few weeks ago, and loved it. We usually do ours in a cast iron skillet, or a round cake pan. Tastes great either way. :) I use the recipe on the back of the Indian Head cornmeal bag, and sub buttermilk for the milk.

Back
Top Bottom