Cornbread that sinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nysha

Assistant Cook
I need HELP! im 21, i dont cook, but im tiered of cup of noodle, and macaroni!
So i have been trying to make corn bread amongst other things...
However, i have only succesfully made corne bread once. I have tried the same recipee multiple times yet the center of the corn bread sinks and it looks like a creator!

I must be doing something wrong.Maybe i need a new recipee.how do i keep my corn bread from sinking. I want them to look like perfect little cupcakes!

Thanks!

Nysha, welcome to the forum!

Sinking cornbread usually indicates the center hasn't finished baking yet, and that semi-liquid blob doesn't have the cake-like structure to support the top crust yet. Following the directions on the package is a good start, but each oven is different, and you may have to adjust certain recipes. In this case you may have to turn down the heat a little (about 5 degrees - to keep things from burning) but bake for a longer time (possibly adding 10-15 minutes or so).

Even if you leave the temperature/time as it is, test the center of your baked good with a long toothpick or similar item (Not plastic) to see whether it pulls out clean or still has unbaked batter stuck to it.

It's challenges like this that begin to make a "cook." Just realize that it's not you, but just a finicky oven. I'm sure you will be fine! :chef:

it would help if you would tell us your recipe. Are you making it from scratch or a box? I use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal box and it works every time.

A key to successful cornbread is to not over beat the batter once you combine the wet and dry ingredients.

No fail cornbread...

Try this one.
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup white all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Heat oven 450. Grease a 8 or 9" square pan, or use an iron skillet. Combine all ingredient in a large bowl, mix well, and pour into pan or skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick come out clean inserted from center.
Keep the elephant out of the kitchen when baking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom