Doughnuts from canned biscuits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is really a coincidence! I'm planning on doing a DO breakfast this coming Monday for the owners and the manager's of the park we're in. I'm making the Mountainman Breakfast. I was planning on whipping up a batch of biscuits too. But then I got to thinking that doing something a little sweet would be a nice compliment to the breakfast, so I've decided to do the Canned Doughnuts.

Here's the recipe that I have if anyone is interested. If anybody would like, I'll take a couple of pictures of the cooking process and post them after we're done.

Canned Donuts

• Can Biscuits
  • 1/2 Cup Powered Sugar
  • 3/4 Cup Evaporated Milk
Directions:
Mix milk & powered sugar in large bowl. Heat oil in skillet or dutch oven to cover donuts. Cut hole out of biscuit center. Place donut in hot oil. Turn donut when brown on bottom. Remove when top of donut is brown also. Lay donuts flat on plate, apply milk & powered sugar mix on both sides of donuts. Also cook "donut holes" in oil & apply sugar mix.

I hadn''t thought of this in years. My kids and I used to make them often. I should make them with my grandchildren now.

These are a great standby. If you can find it, they have a tube dough with blue berries in it, they are AWESOME just for this application!

I used the can dough to do my take on coffee and doughnuts on the dessert menu at my place. Tube doughnuts, dusted in cinnamon, powdered sugar, and served with house made coffee icecream, and had assorted fruit coulis to dip the doughnuts in. It was a hit.

Well, we had a very successful breakfast. The Mountainman Breakfast was a big hit. But I was a little disappointed with the Canned Biscuits.

First, I've never really done any frying in a skillet before, so I wasn't sure what temperature to use. I'd heard somewhere that 450 was agood frying temperature, so I tried that. That is too hot! So I would suggest using around 350.

Secondly, I used Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk biscuits. They're a good choice. They're a nice size and fairly easy to cut the doughnut hole. Since I didn't have a doughnut cutter, I used the screw top off of a honey bottle. It was the perfect size. But I learned that you should always push the hole cutter all the way through, rather than pushing it in and then pulling it out. By pushing it through, you get a good, clean cut and no ripping of the dough.

Third, the mixture of the powdered sugar and the evaporated milk is way too thin. When you brush it on, it just kind of soaks in and doesn't do a lot for the taste. We went to straight powdered sugar, and that was terrific. I think another good topping would be a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. If a glaze is desired, I'd reduce the evaporated milk to maybe a 1/4 cup. It should be thick enough that it doesn't soak in like water.

If I rate this recipe based on the way I recieved it, I'd give it a C. With a few modifications like I mentioned, and that I will use, I think it will be a nice A.

I've posted a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• Canned doughnuts.JPG
    Canned doughnuts.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 220
wow, bringing back the "comfort food" memories! my mom used to do these when we were little kiddos. she'd use the top of a syrup bottle to poke the holes (straight on through, yep), fry 'em in cooking oil, let them drain & cool just a bit on paper towels, and then they'd get popped into a ziploc bag of cinnamon sugar. shake to coat. i'm going to agree w/Uncle Bob here, they really do have more of the texture of a beignet than a krispy creme for sure.

we did glaze a couple of times too, but i always liked the cinnamon-sugar ones much better. mom's big tip was that you have to use "regular" canned biscuits, the "homestyle" kind that peels into flaky layers doesn't work so hot.

fireweaver said:
i'm going to agree w/Uncle Bob here, they really do have more of the texture of a beignet than a krispy creme for sure.

we did glaze a couple of times too, but i always liked the cinnamon-sugar ones much better. mom's big tip was that you have to use "regular" canned biscuits, the "homestyle" kind that peels into flaky layers doesn't work so hot.

Yup, you're right. They had a nice little crunch on the outside. And those were exactly the kind of biscuits we used. We figured the flaky kind would be a problem.

Glad to know I figured things the right way! :chef:

I read somewhere that you can also use pizza dough. You'd have to work the dough a bit and then cut the entire doughnut out. I'm actually considering trying this the next time we want to have canned doughnuts.

yeah, but if you've got pizza dough laying around and it's breakfast time, i'd have to vote for another of those great things mom made for us as kiddos: breakfast pizza! she'd sweeten pizza dough, so that it was just a little shade closer to "sugar cookie" than plain bread, bake it, top with a light layer of either vanilla or pistachio pudding for the sauce, and arrange thinly sliced fruit to completely cover the pizza.

besides, canned biscuits are so the way to go on this fried donut thing, being as how they're already round and of the right thickness.

Back
Top Bottom