Dumpling failure again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Y'all asked or my recipe..

1. make chicken soup. I made a whole roast chicken last week, saved all the bones and leftover meat.

made stock, 6cps, strained that and back into large soup pot.
added small amount suteed veggies plus shreaded chicken, spices, cooked till done, tasted for seasoning. very nice soup!

It was a bit more thick than I usually make because my Mom said, the soft dumplings do better if they steam on top.

2. make dumplings. I bought a Bis-Kit pkg. I think this is Pioneer brand of pre mixed flour with baking powder, etc. Dump the pkg. into bowl add 1/2 cp. milk, per pkg directions, stir up to make a very sticky dough.

I took two spoons and tried to make golf ball sized dumpling and spooned those on top of the hard simmering stew. All looked ok, 6 dumplings total, not touching.

Covered with lid, steamed for almost 30 min. no peaking, I wanted them to firm up.

3. Opened pot, 5 dumplings survived. The other dumpling melted into the soup which was ok, just made creamy soup.

The other dumplings were so soft, I think I got 3 out intact with a spoon.

The meal was ok, but really no dumplings, it was more like soup over grits.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Like I wrote before, you are more than likely making your dough way too soft. If they don't have enough body to them (flour) they are just going to poof/melt. Either that or your "hard simmer" is too much, or a combo of both reasons. Try lowering temp next time so it's a gentle simmer and making your dough a little stiffer.

One of the best chicken and dumpling recipes I've ever made/had actually cooked the dumplings in a separate pot from the chicken mixture. Major pain to make, a Paul Prudhomme recipe, but really, really good.

Why don't you practice with just some water before trying again so you aren't disappointed.

Last edited:
You should try to roll out the biscuit dough. It should hold together almost like bread dough. You might try some pre-made ones like Pillsbury Grands to experiment with texture. If the Grands come out like you want, then you know how you have to make your dumplings. If your dough is soft but not sticky it should work.

Flour is a tricky thing to work with. Even though it was pre-mixed, since it was sticky, you probably needed to add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, till it's not sticky anymore. .

Y'all asked or my recipe..

I took two spoons and tried to make golf ball sized dumpling and spooned those on top of the hard simmering stew. All looked ok, 6 dumplings total, not touching.

Covered with lid, steamed for almost 30 min. no peaking, I wanted them to firm up.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Once again, you didn't follow the directions on the Bisquick box. Why is that?

"Hard simmering" sounds like boiling to me. It should be "soft simmering".
Cover with the lid for 10 minutes and then uncover for 10 minutes.

You cooked them too long for 30 minutes, and boiled them!

PS. Buy Bisquick, not a knock off brand.

Last edited:
Simmer, simmer, simmer! Forget the words "hard boil". That is the secret to fluffy dumplings. And do not make a wet dough. You want a dough that can hold together in the liquid. :angel:

Austin,
Did I miss what method you used to make your dumplings in?

A crockpot just might be what's needed here.The ones today can actually boil.Easily rectified by turning it down to a lower setting.
You can test one out and see it's progress through the lid then adapt your biscuit recipe as needed.

I've used many ways for making dumplings.Didn't care much for the stove top method.Around here they prefer that I make it using a roaster pan.

Try sifting the flour with the baking powder.
HTH. :)

Last edited:
Alright, the editing button refuses to correct my speeling mistake.

What I meant was.I didn't care much for cooking it on the stove top.
Feeding this crowd I needed more room.:LOL:

Alright, the editing button refuses to correct my speeling mistake.

What I meant was.I didn't care much for cooking it on the stove top.
Feeding this crowd I needed more room.:LOL:

My letter "a" doesn't always want to work either. The other day I took the whole keyboard apart and cleaned it. There are days when I need a hammer to get the dang "a" to work. :angel:

For a crowd I would cheat and do them uncovered in the oven using a shallow roaster or 9x13 Pyrex dish. The result would be more of a chicken n' biscuit than a dumpling, brown and crispy on top, moist and tender on the bottom. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom