English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Borocay, those look just as delicious as the baker a few towns over turns out. It's worth the 12 mile drive just to get to his shop so I can buy them. Then again, that's a lot closer than coming to your house to get them from you.

He makes one kind that has cranberries added in - to die for!

..."Nooks and crannies?" Is that the air pockets? Sounds Scottish to me!
A commercially produced English Muffin, Thomas' English Muffins, uses the term "nooks and crannies" as one of their tag lines in their advertising. And yes, it refers to the air pockets - the better to hold your butter or jam.

Does anyone have advice on something to use besides cornmeal to coat the outside.
There's no cornmeal here so I tried to grind some popcorn. Well I only have a blender and it did OK but there were a few big pieces even after I sifted.
Long story short my wife chipped a tooth on one of the hard pieces.
I'm in trouble.

Wheat bran or wheat germ should work or a little oatmeal buzzed in the blender.

Great looking muffins!

Last edited:
The reason we call them English Muffins is because a gentleman who came here from England came up with the original recipe.

They do make rings for these muffins. Or you can take some tuna fish cans and cut out both ends and use them to form your muffins. :angel:

I had saved a couple tuna cans for these but when I saw this recipe they were hand formed, sort of.
I did use the tuna can to fry an egg to fit on the muffins. :yum:

Or just call them muffins?? Who cares where they come from, right? As long as they taste good.) Anyway, served warm with butter, what could be tastier! :yum:

I think you did a very good job there BoracayB. :)

Our "just muffins" look like this:

whole_wheat_muffin_recipes.jpg

Somehow I doubt we'll get the country to change the name at this point :LOL:

Last edited:
They look great. I make the bread instead

English Muffin Toasting Bread
5 cups all purpose flour
2 pkg 1 1/4 oz ea. active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups warm milk (120-130 degrees)
1/2 cup warm water (120- 130 degrees)
cornmeal

In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar salt and baking soda.
Add in milk and water beat low speed for 30 seconds scraping the bowl occasionally
Beat on high for 3 min stir in remaining flour- batter will be stiff - do not knead
grease two loaf pans (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2)
Sprinkle them with cornmeal
divide the dough into the 2 pans and sprinkle the top with cornmeal
cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 45 min
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 min or until golden brown
remove from pans immediately to cool on wire racks.

I've been thinking of trying to make English muffins. Your muffins and the recipe look really good. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom