English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoracayB

Senior Cook
First attempt at making English Muffins and for some strange reason
they came out really good.
First time I made bread by "over proofing" all night.

This is the recipe I used. The lady did a lot of research.
Recipe for Authentic English Muffins with Natural Nooks and Crannies

jo9l.jpg
vbza.jpg

They look just like the muffins I know. (Obviously we don't call them "English" muffins. Just "muffins")

Anyway, they look very good!

"Nooks and crannies?" Is that the air pockets? Sounds Scottish to me!

Last edited:

They look just like the muffins I know. (Obviously we don't call them "English" muffins. Just "muffins")

Anyway, they look very good!

"Nooks and crannies?" Is that the air pockets? Sounds Scottish to me!

Guess they should be called American English muffins.
The nooks and crannies are what I like the most because after they are split you can fill them in with butter and jelly.

Guess they should be called American English muffins.
The nooks and crannies are what I like the most because after they are split you can fill them in with butter and jelly.

Or just call them muffins?? Who cares where they come from, right? As long as they taste good.) Anyway, served warm with butter, what could be tastier! :yum:

I think you did a very good job there BoracayB. :)

Does anyone have advice on something to use besides cornmeal to coat the outside.
There's no cornmeal here so I tried to grind some popcorn. Well I only have a blender and it did OK but there were a few big pieces even after I sifted.
Long story short my wife chipped a tooth on one of the hard pieces.
I'm in trouble.

Ground rice?

What a bummer on the chipped tooth, I broke one on movie popcorn, the only old maid in the bunch :mad:

Does anyone have advice on something to use besides cornmeal to coat the outside.

Maybe just flop them onto parchment paper and skip the outside coating? They'll release from the paper as their crust forms while cooking - but no idea if it's really feasible or not. Is the dough really sticky?

Or just call them muffins?? Who cares where they come from, right? As long as they taste good.) Anyway, served warm with butter, what could be tastier! :yum:

I think you did a very good job there BoracayB. :)

The reason we call them English Muffins is because a gentleman who came here from England came up with the original recipe.

They do make rings for these muffins. Or you can take some tuna fish cans and cut out both ends and use them to form your muffins. :angel:

Last edited:

Not true, Addie. The guy's first name was English, his last name was Muffin. Much to the chagrin of his children, Puffin, Stuffin, and Chuffin. :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe just flop them onto parchment paper and skip the outside coating? They'll release from the paper as their crust forms while cooking - but no idea if it's really feasible or not. Is the dough really sticky?

Yes the dough is really sticky and the the recipe says don't grease the pan so I'm thinking something needs to coat the bread.

Back
Top Bottom