"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #41
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So was the following a typo?
What do you use as bread conditioner? Does it do anything other than extend shelf life?
Not a typo. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, so that's 1/2 teaspoon more gluten per cup for AP flour.

For both the vital gluten and the conditioner I subtract the amount of flour that I replace with the other ingredients. If it calls for 15 ounces of flour, I still use 15 ounces, just replace a small bit of the flour with the additives.

I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour.

This is the description on Amazon:

Quote:
Making your finished product look better, taste better, and last longer

Strengthen the gluten and starch components of your doughs to prevent overmixing

Improves the texture and appearance of breads, pastries, and even pizza doughs
The user ratings are almost universally high - 4.7 star rating.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not a typo. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, so that's 1/2 teaspoon more gluten per cup for AP flour.

For both the vital gluten and the conditioner I subtract the amount of flour that I replace with the other ingredients. If it calls for 15 ounces of flour, I still use 15 ounces, just replace a small bit of the flour with the additives.

I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour.

This is the description on Amazon:



The user ratings are almost universally high - 4.7 star rating.
In the U.K. and Australia, there are 4 tsp in 1 Tbsp.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not a typo. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, so that's 1/2 teaspoon more gluten per cup for AP flour.
For both the vital gluten and the conditioner I subtract the amount of flour that I replace with the other ingredients. If it calls for 15 ounces of flour, I still use 15 ounces, just replace a small bit of the flour with the additives.
Confusion explained. I was reading "tablespoon" both places.
Quote:
I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour. ...
So, not ascorbic acid or malted flour. Thanks.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
In the U.K. and Australia, there are 4 tsp in 1 Tbsp.
I'm pretty sure that there are 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon in the UK. Mr Google says so. He also says there are 4 teaspoons to the Australian tablespoon, and that their tablespoons are smaller than the UK tablespoons.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,303
It depends on which reference you consult. Yahoo and other search engines will land you on both for UK and Australia.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #46
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm pretty sure that there are 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon in the UK. Mr Google says so. He also says there are 4 teaspoons to the Australian tablespoon, and that their tablespoons are smaller than the UK tablespoons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It depends on which reference you consult. Yahoo and other search engines will land you on both for UK and Australia.
Another excellent reason for weighing ingredients. A gram is the same weight everywhere........



............on Earth that is.... on the moon a mass of one gram weighs about 1/6 of a gram. Actually that's not a great explanation either, scientifically speaking, but it gets the point across, I think.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Another excellent reason for weighing ingredients. A gram is the same weight everywhere........



............on Earth that is.... on the moon a mass of one gram weighs about 1/6 of a gram. Actually that's not a great explanation either, scientifically speaking, but it gets the point across, I think.
If you use a balance scale with gram weights on the Moon, whatever you have on the other side of the scale will have the same mass (at the balance point), so you will get the same amount as on Earth.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,303
What drives me crazy is when a recipe flips between metric and Imperial. I have no plans to make English Muffins on the moon...so packing a scale might not be necessary.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #49
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What drives me crazy is when a recipe flips between metric and Imperial. I have no plans to make English Muffins on the moon...so packing a scale might not be necessary.
Ah, where's your sense of adventure. We'd all be calling the moon face CW in the moon in your honor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What drives me crazy is when a recipe flips between metric and Imperial. I have no plans to make English Muffins on the moon...so packing a scale might not be necessary.

Why not? You could weigh the rocks in the heads of some of the people you know!
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
muffin

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.