"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
I try to buy #300 lemons (which are the smaller ones) when shopping for testing recipes. For stuff I cook at home, I shoot for a 6 oz. lemon because I know there are 2 Tbsp of juice and you get 1 Tbsp of zest.


An average head of garlic has 8 cloves. Of course, that's if I use my "Mexican lime squeezer" and not a reamer. Love my Mexican lime squeezer. Lemons (and limes) are something I always have in my house. So if I need more lemon juice, I just add more. I freeze lemon and lime juice when I get them on sale. Ditto for the zest.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I get recipes at a Danish cooking site. They have recipes that call for "a bunch of parsley" or "a lemon" or "an egg". But, if you hover your mouse over the ingredient, it tells you how many grams or ml. Here's an example. I was hovering the cursor over "Maizena majsstivelse" (corn starch).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Danish recipe.gif
Views:	81
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	22723  
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
TL--can you post the link? I can't always find what I need for herbs. I do know an average bunch of coriander has 93 sprigs <g>.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
TL--can you post the link? I can't always find what I need for herbs. I do know an average bunch of coriander has 93 sprigs <g>.
Sure, but you will have to look at individual recipes to see it. It will be Danish standards/averages. I assume you mean to the site, not to that particular recipe.

Opskrifter/Madopskrifter Alletiders Kogebog
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #65
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Then we come to the recipes that call for something like the juice of one lemon. One lemon? How big? How juicy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. Also, garlic cloves, onions, bunches of parsley. They all vary quite a but.
All plans I get to build something carry the disclaimer "verify in field".

That sorta coincides with the "to taste" found in recipe's.

[Blueprints/Recipe's] are the responsibility of the [builder/cook] and this is why you should [measure/taste] often while constructing the [project/meal]. Variations in the [field/kitchen] as to [dimensions/size] of [materials/ingredients] only cause the [builder/cook] to be on there toes to assure the outcome is satisfactory to the end consumer.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #66
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
All plans I get to build something carry the disclaimer "verify in field".

That sorta coincides with the "to taste" found in recipe's.

[Blueprints/Recipe's] are the responsibility of the [builder/cook] and this is why you should [measure/taste] often while constructing the [project/meal]. Variations in the [field/kitchen] as to [dimensions/size] of [materials/ingredients] only cause the [builder/cook] to be on there toes to assure the outcome is satisfactory to the end consumer.
That's basically saying, "I'm not responsible for any mistakes I made. You're on your own".

The recipe writer has a responsibility to provide an unambiguous recipe as a blueprint for the dish. This responsibility does not absolve the cooks from tasting as they go.

Tell me I should use 1/2 cup of diced onion or 2 tsp of minced garlic to make the recipe the way you intended. Then it's up to me to add more or less according to m own tastes.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #67
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's basically saying, "I'm not responsible for any mistakes I made. You're on your own".

The recipe writer has a responsibility to provide an unambiguous recipe as a blueprint for the dish. This responsibility does not absolve the cooks from tasting as they go.

Tell me I should use 1/2 cup of diced onion or 2 tsp of minced garlic to make the recipe the way you intended. Then it's up to me to add more or less according to m own tastes.
That pretty much sums it up.

The Architect makes a mistake then unless the builder catches it before he/she carries through creation without verifying specifics with the "creator" then it falls on the person who did the deed.

Disclaimers are a bitch.

But verify in the field/to taste are there for a reason.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
That pretty much sums it up.

The Architect makes a mistake then unless the builder catches it before he/she carries through creation without verifying specifics with the "creator" then it falls on the person who did the deed.

Disclaimers are a bitch.

But verify in the field/to taste are there for a reason.
Your analogy to architects and contractors doesn't really relate to cooking. In the building trade, you have professionals dealing with professionals. With cooking, you have professionals and amateurs dealing with mostly amateurs. There are varying skill and knowledge levels on both sides of the equation that really makes an internet recipe a potential recipe for disaster.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #70
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your analogy to architects and contractors doesn't really relate to cooking. In the building trade, you have professionals dealing with professionals. With cooking, you have professionals and amateurs dealing with mostly dealing with . There are varying skill and knowledge levels on both sides of the equation that really makes an internet recipe a potential recipe for disaster.
Oh that's not true at all. If you think it's professionals dealing with professionals and not professionals dealing with amateurs then you need to look at the subcontractors the "professionals" hire and how they need to repair the "work" some of them do.

I only see my analogy relating to cooking as it sees the final product dependent on the [chief/contractors] ability to see what the desired outcome of the finished product is to be in the eye of the final consumer.

Wasn't it Frank Perdue that said "Parts is parts".


Now let's relate this to English Muffins.
__________________

__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
muffin

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.