"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 04-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hope I never come across a recipe that tells me a "baseball sized" anything. It's a perfectly good note to oneself if one is familiar with the size of a baseball. I would be more comfortable making notes about "golf ball sized", "tennis ball sized", or "hockey puck sized".

Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #82
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Since I don buy eggs, Andy, I do have to weigh them. My girls are not consistent when they lay eggs. The width of my hand is the perfect size to measure (across) for a 5 oz. portion of meat or fish.
In my experience that would vary a lot depending on the thickness of the cut. Once again not a form of measure that I would even consider. My Salter electronic scale is my preference for any portioning by weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The sizes given, golf ball, medium is about the size of a tennis ball, large is the size of a baseball. Doesn't matter the size of a person's hand, if one can adjust to how a golf ball, tennis ball, or baseball fits in one's hand.
I never really saw a golf ball sized onion (and I'm very familiar with golf balls, having played for 40 years). Even the smallest "standard" supermarket onion is between that and a tennis ball, but closer to the latter. I have bought onions that are close to softball size, but I usually try to pick what I call "medium", around tennis ball size. Once again, if quantity is critical, weight is the way to go. For things like onions, I'm as likely to just estimate and go.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
In my experience that would vary a lot depending on the thickness of the cut. Once again not a form of measure that I would even consider. My Salter electronic scale is my preference for any portioning by weight.

I never really saw a golf ball sized onion (and I'm very familiar with golf balls, having played for 40 years). Even the smallest "standard" supermarket onion is between that and a tennis ball, but closer to the latter. I have bought onions that are close to softball size, but I usually try to pick what I call "medium", around tennis ball size. Once again, if quantity is critical, weight is the way to go. For things like onions, I'm as likely to just estimate and go.
The thickness of the cut doesn't matter. We use my hand all the time to cut a fillet into two portions for photo shoots. On the scale, they are bang on 5 oz. Which is the portion size we want. I lay my hand across the top of the chunk of fish. We're not buying this at the supermarket, we're buying it either off the boat or at the fishmonger. You can be very picky about thickness and where you want the fishmonger to cut when you buy direct.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

And for any item in the kitchen, it also depends on your taste buds. Not every one likes onions. I had a friend that hated them and if a recipe needed onions, she always bought a bag of pearl onions. A couple of them tossed in the mêlée and she felt that she added what she was willing to tolerate. Whereas I could easily peel and slice a 5 lb. bag and just sauté them up as a side dish alone. Unfortunately for me so do my kids. Dang! I want them all to myself.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

boiler onions are often about golf ball sized.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And as far as I could tell, have no onion flavor. At least not enough for me.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I guess they aren't the same everywhere.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #88
Head Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Quote:
I guess they aren't the same everywhere.
In fact I've never even heard of them. Yellow, white, Vidalia, red, pearl, scallions, shallots... these I've heard of and used, but never heard of a boiler onion. If I was someplace with a real produce department I'd check for them, but out here in the wheatfields we don't have a lot of such "exotic" items.

I'm with Addie... I love onions, in things, on things, just good food.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #89
Certified Pretend Chef

[QUOTE=RPCookin;1417020]In fact I've never even heard of them...[QUOTE]

Check this link. Scroll down. Cook's Thesaurus: Dry Onions & Shallots
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=Andy M.;1417024][QUOTE=RPCookin;1417020]In fact I've never even heard of them...
Quote:

Check this link. Scroll down. Cook's Thesaurus: Dry Onions & Shallots
Nifty link, Andy

Tags
muffin