English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So was the following a typo?
What do you use as bread conditioner? Does it do anything other than extend shelf life?

Not a typo. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, so that's 1/2 teaspoon more gluten per cup for AP flour.

For both the vital gluten and the conditioner I subtract the amount of flour that I replace with the other ingredients. If it calls for 15 ounces of flour, I still use 15 ounces, just replace a small bit of the flour with the additives.

I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour.

This is the description on Amazon:

Making your finished product look better, taste better, and last longer

Strengthen the gluten and starch components of your doughs to prevent overmixing

Improves the texture and appearance of breads, pastries, and even pizza doughs

The user ratings are almost universally high - 4.7 star rating.

Not a typo. 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, so that's 1/2 teaspoon more gluten per cup for AP flour.

For both the vital gluten and the conditioner I subtract the amount of flour that I replace with the other ingredients. If it calls for 15 ounces of flour, I still use 15 ounces, just replace a small bit of the flour with the additives.

I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour.

This is the description on Amazon:

The user ratings are almost universally high - 4.7 star rating.
In the U.K. and Australia, there are 4 tsp in 1 Tbsp.

Confusion explained. I was reading "tablespoon" both places. :doh:
I use Honeyville Farms Dough Conditioner. One teaspoon per cup of flour. ...
So, not ascorbic acid or malted flour. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that there are 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon in the UK. Mr Google says so. He also says there are 4 teaspoons to the Australian tablespoon, and that their tablespoons are smaller than the UK tablespoons.

I'm pretty sure that there are 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon in the UK. Mr Google says so. He also says there are 4 teaspoons to the Australian tablespoon, and that their tablespoons are smaller than the UK tablespoons.

It depends on which reference you consult. Yahoo and other search engines will land you on both for UK and Australia.

Another excellent reason for weighing ingredients. A gram is the same weight everywhere........

............on Earth that is.... on the moon a mass of one gram weighs about 1/6 of a gram. Actually that's not a great explanation either, scientifically speaking, but it gets the point across, I think. :wacko:

Another excellent reason for weighing ingredients. A gram is the same weight everywhere........

............on Earth that is.... on the moon a mass of one gram weighs about 1/6 of a gram. Actually that's not a great explanation either, scientifically speaking, but it gets the point across, I think. :wacko:
If you use a balance scale with gram weights on the Moon, whatever you have on the other side of the scale will have the same mass (at the balance point), so you will get the same amount as on Earth.

What drives me crazy is when a recipe flips between metric and Imperial. I have no plans to make English Muffins on the moon...so packing a scale might not be necessary.

What drives me crazy is when a recipe flips between metric and Imperial. I have no plans to make English Muffins on the moon...so packing a scale might not be necessary.

Ah, where's your sense of adventure. We'd all be calling the moon face CW in the moon in your honor.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Why not? You could weigh the rocks in the heads of some of the people you know! :angel:

Last edited:
No, CWS, in the UK

1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml
so
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons

but you are correct about Oz.

Just for the record, although we don't use cup measurements often for dry goods, a British Standards measuring cup holds 250g/ml. Another thing that's useful to know if you are "translating" recipes is that an Imperial pint has 20 ounces not 16 as a US pint has.

It depends on which reference you consult. Yahoo and other search engines will land you on both for UK and Australia.
Just checked in the Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook:

1 (oz) teaspoon = 5ml
1 (oz) tablespoon = 4 teaspoons

so, the Oz tablespoon is BIGGER than the UK one ie 20ml.

???

Most recipes have separate lists of metric and imperial measurements or write them as metric/Imperial/US measurements and you stick with whichever you choose to use, and never the twain shall meet. I think I'd ignore a recipe that flitted between one and an other

I sometimes write a recipe in metric and put teaspoons for things that don't need to be all that precise. I have a Danish cookbook from the '60s that has recipes in grams and litres, but might write an amount as "a glass of ..." :LOL:

The chefs are notorious for combining metric and Imperial. Drives me crazy. I end up converting everything to one or the other and then figure out how much of each ingredient is needed.

Then we come to the recipes that call for something like the juice of one lemon. One lemon? How big? How juicy? :wacko:

This is a pet peeve of mine. Also, garlic cloves, onions, bunches of parsley. They all vary quite a but.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Also, garlic cloves, onions, bunches of parsley. They all vary quite a but.

Yeah... I watch on the cooking channel and they have garlic cloves twice the size of the ones on the bulbs I buy in the store. Fortunately we like garlic, so I just make sure I use plenty. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom